The Dutch

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Wed Sep 7 10:10:35 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:01 -0700, Jim wrote:
> It seems to me the Army corps of engineers should consult the Dutch when
> they're ready to improve the levees so they'll stand up to cat 5 storms.
>   The Dutch have a long history of building dikes to keep water out of
> below sea level parts of their country.  This has enabled them to turn
> land that used to be under the North Sea into more land for them to live
> on.  Anything that can stand up to North Sea storms year after year
> should be able to stand up to the occasional hurricane.

Great idea.  Give their contractors the job.  The environmental disaster
known as the Army Corp of Engineers skrewed up the design last time.
Only planning for a Cat 3 is planning to fail.  As I remember the dutch
have a three dike system so that there is backup to backup to keep the
water out and should one breach time to fix it without disruption or
relying on incompentent federal agencys.

--