Where does the mayor get off

Jim jnantz2 at 216-19-216-108.GETNET.NET
Fri Sep 9 22:34:54 MDT 2005

Dennis Putnam wrote:

> At 07:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:
>
>>Where does the mayor of New Orleans get off ordering a manditory
>>evacuation?  He had hundreds of school buses at his disposal two weeks ago
>>to get people out, but did nothing.
>

> He didn't "do nothing," he ordered and a mandatory evacuation before the
> storm hit. However, it was a voluntary mandatory evacuation and he failed
> to follow his own evacuation plan and order transit and school busses to
> evacuate those that needed transportation. There weren't even any drivers
> put on standby.
>

>>IMHO the people of New Orleans should be given a deadline.  Also they
>>should be told they should count on not being rescued if they choose to
>>stay past the deadline.
>

> Because those that remain behind will pose a health risk to everyone else,
> especially rescue and cleanup workers, they should be bodily removed and
> jailed for obstruction and creating a health hazard. Even the leftover
> sludge is highly toxic.

Dennis whatever you're smoking I must insist you share it with me.  If
I'm staying at my home in New Orleans with food,guns, ammo, water, fuel,
a generator and other supplies, and minding my own business what am I
obstructing?  What health hazard am I creating? The way I figure it, I'm
only creating a health hazard for looters who try to come on my property
and steal my stuff, or for anyone who tries to abduct me.

>>Three years ago in northern Arizona there was a bad forest fire
>>threatening the town of Show Low.  After an evacuation was ordered, cops
>>went to the homes of those who chose to stay and told them they could stay
>>if they signed a release acknowledging the following:
>>
>>They were told they should leave.
>>They understand the risks of staying.
>>After the deadline firemen will not be put in a situation where their
>>lives would be at risk rescuing those who choose to stay.
>

> This is a different situation. They were not a health hazard by remaing.

Being burned alive isn't a hazard to one's health?  Being suffocated by
the smoke from a forest fire isn't a health hazard?  Different
situation?  How?

--

"He who laughs when things go wrong has just thought of someone he can
blame it on." - Benny Hill