Newsmax.com - Doctors: Hurricane Katrina Forced Us to Kill Patients

Mon Sep 12 21:23:58 MDT 2005

I can not agree with this action by doctors who are charged with saving
lives, regardless of the fact that the patients would not survive a
transfer.  These doctors should be held accountable for their actions by
the AMA and/or local/state law enforcement agencies.

Doctors: Hurricane Katrina Forced Us to Kill Patients
NewsMax.com
Monday, Sept. 12, 2005
Doctors working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill
patients rather than leave them behind to die in agony as they evacuated
hospitals, according to a shocking report in the respected British
newspaper the Daily Mail.

One emergency official who spoke on the record, William "Forest" McQueen,
told the Mail: "Those who had no chance of making it were given a lot of
morphine and lain down in a dark place to die."

McQueen, a utility manager for the town of Abita Springs near New
Orleans, told relatives that patients had been "put down," saying medical
personnel "injected them, but nurses stayed with them until they died."
The Mail did not name the other members of the medical staff interviewed
by the newspaper in order to protect their identities. Euthanasia is
illegal in Louisiana.
One doctor said: "I didn't know if I was doing the right thing. But I did
not have time. I had to make snap decisions, under the most appalling
circumstances, and I did what I thought was right.
"I injected morphine into those patients who were dying and in agony. If
the first dose was not enough, I gave a double dose. And at night I
prayed to God to have mercy on my soul.
"This was not murder. This was compassion. I had cancer patients who were
in agony."
The doctor said medical staffers divided patients into three categories:
those who were medically fit enough to survive, those who needed urgent
care, and the dying, the Mail reported.
"It came down to giving people the basic human right to die with
dignity," said the doctor.
"There were patients with ‘Do Not Resuscitate' signs. Under normal
circumstances, some could have lasted several days. But when the power
went out, we had nothing.
"Some of the very sick became distressed. We tried to make them as
comfortable as possible.
"You have to understand, these people were going to die anyway."
According to the Mail, the confessions of the medical staff "are an
indictment of the appalling failure of American authorities to help those
in desperate need after Hurricane Katrina flooded the city."