Cindy Sheehan Accused of Anti-Semitic Remarks

Tue Aug 8 14:03:04 MDT 2006

Cindy Sheehan Accused of Anti-Semitic Remarks
Tuesday , August 08, 2006

This is a partial transcript from "Hannity & Colmes," August 7, 2006,
that has been edited for clarity.
SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: One year after her first protest against the war
in Iraq thrust her into the national spotlight, anti-war activist Cindy
Sheehan, she's back in Crawford, Texas. But with a new conflict raging in
the Middle East, will Sheehan's repeated criticism of Israel damage her
image?
Joining us now, the author of the forthcoming book, "American Mourning",
radio talk show host with KSFO in San Francisco, Melanie Morgan. And the
director of the Human Rights Programs for Global Exchange, Ted Lewis is
with us.
Melanie, you know, the e-mail she had [sent] said, my first son born was
killed for lies and for a neo-con agenda to benefit Israel, repeatedly
saying 'America out of Iraq, Israel out of Palestine,' you'll stop
terrorism that way. Do you think those statements are anti-Semitic?
MELANIE MORGAN, RADIO TALK SHOW HOST: Well I don't know if Cindy Sheehan
herself is anti-Semitic, I suspect she may have some Jewish friends. But
I can tell you for sure that those comments are anti-Semitic and they're
deeply hurtful and divisive.
I have no idea whether or not she realizes that. But what I can say is
that she talks about Jewish cabals and these very dark conspiracy
theories that are terribly frightening.
And the people that she associates with, some of her very closest friends
are very much in the anti-Semitic movement. Some of those people are
Madea Benjamin of Code Pink, which is a violent anarchist group that went
and upset and overturned the WTO conference in Seattle. Some of the other
people are Lynne Stewart, who is the lawyer who obviously passed secret
information to a jihadist who had dedicated himself to kill Jews and all
Americans --
HANNITY: It seems that she's gotten a pass in the media in this regard. I
mean they spent months and months covering this woman, anything she said
or did, you know, her, or her friends, her associates, others on the hard
left can call the president a lying, filthy bastard. That's ok, they can
make these references that I don't think anybody else in the media would
get away with. Why does she get a pass? Is it because the media just
doesn't have a willingness to confront her because of what happened with
her son?
MORGAN: I think it's because many of the members of the media are
complicit themselves. I mean, she's not saying or doing anything new or
different that she hasn't done for the last 18, 24 months now. And what
is really sad is that Cindy Sheehan does not seem to understand that with
all of her radical leftist friends that she's only hurting her own
credibility and hurting the peace movement itself.
ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: Melanie welcome. Ted Lewis, Melanie's playing a
game of guilt by association here and she's not getting a pass.
Conservatives have been critical of Cindy Sheehan since she began an
anti-war protest, Ted.
I don't know whether she's anti-Semitic or not, I'm guessing she's made
some non-Zionist statements, that doesn't make you an anti-Semite.
TED LEWIS, GLOBAL EXCHANGE: No of course not. To call for the end of the
killing of civilians either by Hamas doesn't make me anti-Islamic nor
does calling for the end of killing of civilians by Israel make anybody
anti-Semitic.
What we're looking at here, unfortunately, is turning these issues into
cartoons. You know Cindy Sheehan, for all her defects and the positive
elements, she's right. Eight hundred more Americans have died in Iraq
since she started her protests.
But you know more so than Cindy Sheehan, what's really leading anti-war
sentiment in this country is just the common sense of Americans who
realize that this war is a disaster and that President Bush is not
leveling with us about what's really going on in Iraq. This is a disaster
and it's taking our country down in a way that's just reprehensible.
And Sean, you know, I think that it's important that you stop trying to
tell Americans that there were weapons of mass destruction, this sort of
thing, and level with us about what's really going on.
HANNITY: Wait a minute Ted. Ted, there were 500 canisters, 500 of them
that we found there and you may want to put your liberal head in the sand
and ignore it because you've got a political agenda that doesn't allow
you to see the truth, but I don't live my life in such a way.
You have played, and people on your side, have played politics with this
war from the beginning. You call our president a liar every day and then
when confronted with evidence you ignore it because your agenda and your
ambition is more important. I don't live my life that way.
COLMES: I don't want to get off topic. This is about Cindy Sheehan, but
those WMDs the administration itself hasn't jumped on that and further
more, our own state department and pentagon have said this is not the
reason why we went to war. These are not the weapons, why we went to war.
But Melanie, you're playing with Cindy Sheehan a game of guilt by
association. You're accusing other people who she may demonstrate with as
being anti-Semitic, that's not about Cindy Sheehan. Mel Gibson put out a
movie blaming Jews for the death of Christ which historically has been
used to fuel anti-Semitism for centuries.
It's quite a difference there than what Cindy Sheehan has said.
LEWIS: Thank you.
MORGAN: Cindy Sheehan will be judged by the friends that she keeps. And I
have a news flash for Ms. Sheehan and all of her radical leftist friends.
By protecting Israel's interests we are protecting American interests and
if she cannot understand that if we turn a blind eye to evil, evil will
overtake us and kill us all. And the jihadists will not care whether she
is a lapsed Catholic. They will go on to kill her and every single member
of her --
COLMES: We've got to run...
HANNITY: Mel Gibson's movie was about the scribes and Pharisees
specifically. It did not attack Jews, and that is a false
characterization to say that.
COLMES: It blamed Jews for the death of Christ. That's exactly what it
did in that movie.
Watch "Hannity & Colmes" weeknights at 9 p.m. ET!
Copy: Content and Programming Copyright 2006 Fox News Network, LLC. ALL
RIGHTS RESERVED. Transcription Copyright 2006 Voxant, Inc.
(www.voxant.com), which takes sole responsibility for the accuracy of the
transcription. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No license is granted to the user of
this material except for the user's personal or internal use and, in such
case, only one copy may be printed, nor shall user use any material for
commercial purposes or in any fashion that may infringe upon Fox News
Network, LLC'S and Voxant, Inc.'s copyrights or other proprietary rights
or interests in the material. This is not a legal transcript for purposes
of litigation.