How lazy can people get?

John B Hammes Sr economic56 at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 17 11:42:30 MDT 2006

I use all kinds of easy pre-prepared food.  The time I would have used to
cook/prepare it is time I can spend on making more money.  People will be as
"lazy" as the market will bear.  If it saves time and enables one to
increase his income or have more free time, I'm all for it.  Nothing
ridiculous about it.  The biggest growth area in the jobs market evidently
isn't eliminating jobs any more than the automobile industry eliminated the
buggy-whip manufacturer workers' jobs.  I imagine those people found
employment in automobile factories, tire factories, paint factories,
refineries, etc., related to the auto industry.  It didn't all happen at
once, but as there were fewer buggy whips, there were surely more
automobiles in use.  The unemployment rate remains low under Bush.

IMHO
John B Hammes Sr

-----Original Message-----
From: Open discussion of current events [mailto:RUSHTALK at athena.csdco.com]On
Behalf Of Thomas Matiska
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:45 AM
To: RUSHTALK at athena.csdco.com
Subject: Re: How lazy can people get?

My introduction to the precooked bacon was a few years ago at an up scale
hotel in the DC-Baltimore area that started using precooked products for
their "free" breakfast buffet..  The hot buffet was a definite step up from
the standard continental breakfast, without the hassle of operating a
kitchen.  No trained cooks,  gas grills, stainless steel sinks with grease
traps, vent hoods with sprinkler systems. and other expensive items required
by modern fire and health codes.    Untrained bottom end hotel employees
would simply nuke the stuff and put it out as they would coffee and
doughnuts.   No need to wash the disposable trays.

The otherwise ridiculous expense of paying for a food company to cook and
package bacon actually made sense, when you compare it to how ridiculous it
is for a commercial operation to fry bacon (in compliance with today's
regulations) on premises as we would do at home.

Seems the biggest growth area in the jobs market has been jobs that help
businesses eliminate other jobs.....another sign of the times.

Tom

-------------- Original message from Jim
<jim at LADMO.AZANORAK.COM>: --------------