Cal Thomas has it right

Jim jim at LADMO.AZANORAK.COM
Thu Aug 17 23:25:02 MDT 2006

MCSpearing wrote:
> Actually, Carl, the wild theory is that hydrogen can be split from water
> (H2O), and the theory isn't wild, only expensive.  It's done all the
> time, but cost-effective means must be developed. I am immutably
> convinced that this can, and evetually WILL, be done.  The beauty is
> that when hydrogen burns, it combines with oxygen (O2) and becomes water
> again.  That makes hydrogen a recyclable fuel!  Hell, even whining
> apocalyptic tree-huggers ought to go for that.

I can think of one reason why they won't.  On an industrial scale, a lot
of electricity would be required to do the job.  A coal, oil or gas
fired plant could be used.  However the tree huggers would protest that
on the ground of air pollution.

Hydroelectric plants could be used.  This would require building a lot
of dams.  The tree huggers would complain about the dams behing harmful
to the fish.  How can a dam be bad for fish when it creates a helluva
lot more habitat for the fish?

Geothermal energy could be used, but if someone wanted to build a power
plant at Yellowstone, the tree huggers would really raise hell then.

Wind power isn't an option.  It's not reliable.  You would be dependent
on the wind, which doesn't blow all the time.  If you built a wind farm
anyway, the tree huggers would complain because each one of those
windmills would become a bird o matic slicing and dicing the little birdies.

Solar power - rainy days.

This leaves one option to generate electricity on an industrial scale.
You can put a plant on near the coast, in the middle of a desert or
anywhere else you want to.  It generates zero air pollution.  Enough
fuel to keep it going for a year could fit under your dining room table.
  Enough fuel to operate it for 40 or 50 years would fit inside your
house.  The problem here is that you and I and even the people in
McKeesport know how the libs would react if someone tried to build a
nuclear plant.

This reminds me.  The libs are always using the that's how they do it in
europe, we should do it that way here argument.  In one case I agree.
The frogs make over 70% of their electricity from nuclear power.  They
make so much that they export it to other countries.  They even have
cables laid on the bottom of the English channel so they can sell power
to the British.  The frogs haven't had any serious accidents at thier
nuclear power plants.  Also their nuclear plants are all breeder
reactors.  A breeder reactor is one that's designed to turn as much U238
as possible into plutonium.  U235 is the isotope of uranium that
provides the energy in a fission reaction.  Fresh fuel rods are
approximately 3% U235.  When fuel in a breeder reactor is used up, it's
taken out and processed to remove the by products that don't contribute
to a fission reaction.  This leaves U235, U238 and plutonium that can be
made into fresh fuel rods.

> Hydrogen, despite the awful press the Hindenburg gave it, is far more
> forgiving a fuel than is gasoline.  In a crash, hydrogen, if the tank
> ruptures, rises away from the car because hydrogen is lighter than air.
> Gasoline, on the other hand, pools, soaks into clothing and sticks to
> everything.  Another Way of looking at it is to imagine Hindenburg
> filled with high-test ethyl when it exploded. There'd be no survivors.
> Shoot, it might still be burning!

The fire that we all have seen in the film of the Hindenburg crash was
the diesel that was used to power the engines.

> In a hydrogen-driven planet, the world no longer needs filthy towel-head
> oil, or them.  This is a goal worth fighting for.

Amen brother Spearing.

they're crap at any other job."
- Roger Twiggy Day

- Sean Hannity