AC FOX

Jim jim at LADMO.AZANORAK.COM
Sun Aug 20 00:07:32 MDT 2006

AC FOX Activated Carbon Facilitated Oxidation

I stumbled across this today while looking for something else at
howstuffworks.com.

Hugh McLaughlin invented it in 2001 and perfected it to the point he was
able to get a patent for it in January.

If you're interested, start at
http://science.howstuffworks.com/ac-fox.htm
At
http://science.howstuffworks.com/ac-fox2.htm you'll see a link to an
article in the Boston Globe of May 6 this year.

It's a process that allows for disposing of organic waste that's cheaper
and produces less pollution than other processes.

The links above go into more detail than I'll try, but to keep it
simple: There's a big steel tube full of activated charcoal.  The tube
is heated and set on rollers so it is constantly rotated.

In one end you put air and some water containing the waste you want to
get rid of.  The crud in the water is trapped by the activated charcoal.
  The air reacts with the crud in the activated charcoal.

Out the other end you get steam at temperatures between 300 and 700
degrees, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and inorganic ash suitable for using
as fertilizer.  The steam is hot enough to be used to drive a turbine
thereby generating electricity.

The temperature inside the ac fox reactor is low enough that you don't
get toxic by products like you would if the crud was disposed of by
means of ordinary burning.  For example when you get your car smog
checked, one thing they often test for is nitrogen oxides.  The ac fox
process isn't hot enough to create any.

What's my point?  This is the result of some guy in Massachusetts
tinkering around in his basement.  He's free to make obscene amounts of
money off of it.  That's why it was invented here and not in Venezuela,
Cuba, China or any of the other lefties' workers paradises.

they're crap at any other job."
- Roger Twiggy Day

- Sean Hannity