Viruses Protecting Themselves?

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Thu Feb 2 11:38:30 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 08:03 -0800, MCSpearing wrote:
> For about $25, an outfit called PlumChoice.com probably can fix you
> up.  If you can get to the site, that is.
>
> MCS
>
> Richard A Whitenight <rum.runner at JUNO.COM> wrote:
>         Jose, this darn virus I have on my computer, literally shuts
>         down Juno or
>         IE web browser if it sees any resemblance of a site that can
>         destroy or
>         remove it. I suspect what I'll have to do is run a software
>         such as
>         Norton Disk Doctor or Anti-Virus program from my CD rom drive.

Yes use the boot disk from a recent version of Norton System Works 2006
is just out.  These type of virus which block access have rewritten your
hosts.txt file to block access in the same way you can block access to
popups using a legitimate hosts.txt file.

If it does not work than get a friend with linux to copy off your
programs and reinstall. your system.  At which point install and buy
System Mechanic from www.iolo.com and download AVG antivirus for backup
to Norton and Zone Alarm all before you reinstall your other
applications.

BTW once you have a clean install use Norton Ghost to make an emergency
restore set of disks.
--