Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Tue Feb 7 10:36:49 MST 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: John <blueoval at 1SMARTISP.NET>
To: RUSHTALK at athena.csdco.com

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a
prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail
messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog
as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small
favors, I guess.

More...

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to
+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?tag=html.alert

Perspective:  Create an e-annoyance, go to jail
By Declan McCullagh

<SNIP>
Think about it: A woman fired by a manager who demanded sexual favors
wants to blog about it without divulging her full name. An aspiring
pundit hopes to set up the next Suck.com. A frustrated citizen wants to
send e-mail describing corruption in local government without worrying
about reprisals.

In each of those three cases, someone's probably going to be annoyed.
That's enough to make the action a crime. (The Justice Department won't
file charges in every case, of course, but trusting prosecutorial
discretion is hardly reassuring.)

Looking at this I wonder if congress knows they have just repealed the whistleblower protections.
No more reporting on corporate corruption or government corruption.  Forget citizen activism
anainst the rich and well connected not just democrats.  There is little privacy now hereafter
there is far less.  Slap suits to prevent company employees from testifying to criminal acts
will now be standard defense.  Forget getting the goods  on the next Worldcom or Enron.

I wonder if we can use this law to shut down people on AOL or liberals as they annoy me all the time?
There is a list called Politics on Topica which is infested with annoying liberals.

--