MLK Day and Black History "Month"

Rob Loach rob at IVMAN.COM
Sun Jan 15 11:56:13 MST 2006

Greetings!
Since today is MLK's real birthday, I thought I'd send a message to the
group on that topic. This year is the first year that the county we live
in is legally observing MLK Day. (This holiday was imposed on our county
this past spring. Up until then, only *4* county workers opted to use
their "floating holiday" to be off on MLK day. Now MLK is one of the
county's mandatory paid holidays and there is no longer a floating
holiday. That's real democracy and freedom, huh?!) I'm just wondering,
with this newfound "freedom," what we're supposed to do ... like, what
is part of a traditional MLK Day celebration???

Ironically, today also puts us at the one-quarter mark in Black History
"Month". The reason I put month in quotation marks is that, from what we
see through the media, the talk about this special "month" begins
January 1 and goes till February 28, if not longer. Is it the same in
your part of the country?

Will MLK's dream of a "color-blind society" ever get us to the point
where no month is a history month of any one color? It seems to me that
all that the so-called black leaders of today are trying to do is to
keep racism based on color alive. Keeping it before our eyes during a
two-month long "month" is doing anything but encouraging color-blindness!

Rob