Viruses Protecting Themselves?

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Tue Jan 24 11:40:50 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 19:50 -0600, Richard A Whitenight wrote:
> Has anyone ever heard of a virus that protects itself by shutting down a
> virus or software, when it recognizes you're trying to download a
> anti-virus software or just visiting a site dedicated to destroying a
> virus?

That would require some form of mini expert system for a virus to hide
when a scanner is present.

But the usual is to hack your hosts.txt file to prevent you from getting
to anti virus sites.    But there are also polymorphic virus which
recreate themselves to have new signatures to fool scanners which only
check "known" signatures.

Mike's list is one of the better lists on information relavant to this
problem.

If you wish I can post a few samples here of the more cleaver ones.
--