Global warming

Jim jnantz2 at 216-19-216-108.GETNET.NET
Wed Mar 22 02:19:49 MST 2006

in the 70s that told us we were turning the earth into a deep freeze
Because we were putting too much pollution into the air.  Since the late
80s environmentalists have told us the earth is warming due to us
putting too much pollution in the air.

Something they're neglecting is how adaptive the earth is.  A volcano
out in the Pacific blows up destroying everything and the island heals
itself.  One day a coconut washes up on shore and sprouts.  Some plant
material may wash up on shore that has some insects on it or maybe a
lizard or two.  Sooner or later birds fly over the island, are attracted
to the trees and land in them.  While the birds are there they deposit
seeds that came from whatever they ate at the last island they visited.
  This adds to the variety of plant life.  Eventually the island is
repopulated with a variety of plant and animal life.  The same sort of
thing happens all over the world.  In 1980 Mount St. Helens blew up and
laid waste to everything for miles.  Trees were laid down like they were
matchsticks.  Stuff is growing back.  Trees and other plants are
reclaiming the area.  Go there in the summer and among the dead trees
you'll see trees, grass and all sorts of other plant life.  Of course
animals follow in order to eat the plants.  Other animals follow them so
they can eat the animals that came to eat the plants.

 From what we've already learned about the factors that influence
earth's climate, it should be obvious to anyone that the earth will
adapt to an increase in global temperatures and everything will
eventually balance out.

They tell us increased levels of carbon dioxide will cause the earth to
get warmer.  More heat means a longer growing season.  This means more
food for us and the animals.  A warmer climate means we'll have more
time to grow crops.  It also means we'll be able to grow various crops
in areas we can't grow them now because the growing season currently
isn't long enough.

"Carbon Dioxide isn't pollution.  It's plant food." - Jim Quinn.  The
bulk of the plant comes from the carbon dioxide that it took in.  That
carbon was turned into the wood, leaves and the fruit or nut a
particular tree produces.  More carbon means more material for the plant
to work with.  Increased carbon dioxide in the air causes plants to grow
faster.  It also causes them to be more efficient with the water they
use.  This means a plant will be able to grow in areas where it is now
too dry for it.

Increased heat will mean water evaporates from the oceans faster than it
does now.  This means more cloud cover and more rain.

Let's tie all this together.  Plants growing longer each year will take
more co2 from the air.  As more water is available and plants are more
efficient in using it; they'll grow in more places. Growing faster and
in more places means plants will be able to take even more co2 from the
air.  Also added cloud cover means more heat from the sun will be
reflected back into space.

All this extra plant growth will mean more food for all the animals.
This is bound to help all those animals threatened by man.  Just think
how much the hairy chested nutscratcher will be able to increase its range.

Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.

--

Sgt Schultz "You're a better cook than my wife."
Louis LeBeau "Merci"