wetback update

Wed Mar 29 00:29:51 MST 2006

Jim, one repercussion of Tuesday morning's protests in Dallas, was an
accident that occurred near a DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) station,
when a 15-year old unlicensed driver took his parent's Ford Expedition
without permission, was swerving in and out of traffic trying to get to
the protest site, and was involved in an accident where the car did a
"roll over,"  resulting in an 18-year old girl having one of her hands
torn off.  I spoke with a police officer for the North Richland Hills
(TX) Police Dept, who advised that School Resource Officers could issue
each of the students who walked out with a Class-C Misdemeanor Truancy
citation, which would in turn cost their parents about $257.  But, I
think some of these school districts don't have the cajones to do it.

Richard