Is America Over And Done With?!?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Nov 4 21:32:01 MST 2007

The Dream That Was America – or – Moscow on the Potomac

by <mailto:rhawes73 at gmail.com>Robert F. Hawes Jr.
by Robert F. Hawes Jr.

<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.co
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.co
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Email a link to this article
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Email a link to this article
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Printer-friendly version of this article
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
Printer-friendly version of this article
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
View a list of the most popular articles on our site
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html#>
View a list of the most popular articles on our site

<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/hawes1.html&title=The%20Dream%20That%20Was%20America%20%E2%80%93%20or%20%E2%80%93%20Moscow%20on%20the%20Potomac&topic=political_opinion>DIGG
THIS

In Ridley Scott's film
<http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Extended-Three-Disc-Russell-Crowe/dp/B0009QTS1M/lewrockwell/>Gladiator,
the ailing Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius
(portrayed by the late Richard Harris) travels
from the comforts of Rome to the muddy
battlefields of second-century Germania on a
mission. The Roman army, fighting under the
capable leadership of General Maximus (Russell
Crowe), has finally defeated the Germanic
tribesmen, and Aurelius now longs to turn his
attention from the maintenance of an empire to
the restoration of a republic. The chief obstacle
that stands in his way is his own failing health.
Rome needs a young, strong and vigorous leader to
take it down the path that Aurelius envisions.
His son Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) is weak and
spoiled, full of base ambition, not at all the
man for the job of relinquishing power. Maximus
is the man Aurelius wishes to succeed him to the
imperial seat, but Maximus is tired of war and
strife, and more than anything else he simply
wants to return home. In the following lines of
dialogue, Aurelius struggles to convince Maximus
that Rome still needs its finest soldier:

MAXIMUS: "5,000 of my men are out there in the
freezing mud. 3,000 are cleaved and bloodied.
2,000 will never leave this place. I will not
believe they fought and died for nothing."
AURELIUS: "And what would you believe?"
MAXIMUS: "They fought for you and for Rome."
AURELIUS: "And what is Rome, Maximus?"
MAXIMUS: "I have seen much of the rest of the
world. It is brutal and cruel and dark. Rome is the light."
AURELIUS: "Yet you have never been there. You
have not seen what it has become. I am dying,
Maximus. When a man sees his end he wants to know
that there has been some purpose to his life. How
will the world speak my name in years to come?
Will I be known as the philosopher, the warrior,
the tyrant? Or will I be remembered as the
Emperor who gave Rome back her true self? There
was once a dream that was Rome, you could only
whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it
would vanish, it was so fragile. And I fear that
it will not survive the winter."

Most of you probably know the story. Commodus
learns of his father's intentions, kills Aurelius
and tries to do the same to Maximus, who barely
escapes with his life. Maximus is sold into
slavery, becomes a gladiator, and eventually
fights in the Colosseum under the eye of
Commodus. At one point in the film, Maximus
points toward the bloodthirsty crowd awaiting him
and exclaims, "Marcus Aurelius had a dream that
was Rome... And this is not it. This is not it!"

Say whatever derogatory thing you will about
Hollyweird; chances are, I'll see your insult and
raise you a little righteous indignation. But
every once in a while a film comes along with a
message that rings true in a powerful way.
<http://www.amazon.com/Braveheart-Special-Collectors-Mel-Gibson/dp/B000W8OM5Y/lewrockwell/>Braveheart
was such a film. And while Gladiator isn't quite
on the same level (the story it depicts is
fictional), it carries its own impact. The
struggle it portrays, that of a good man battling
against evil in high places, has universal
appeal. The ideals behind the story rise above its historical setting.

And every time I hear Richard Harris speaking as
Marcus Aurelius I can't help but think: there was
once a dream that was America too, and I fear
that it may not survive the next election.

For a moment, set aside your party affiliation
and whatever special interest you might have and
travel back in time with me. We won't need to go
far; the seventies and eighties will do just
fine. This was the era in which I grew up.

It was also the latter part of the Cold War. The
Soviet Union was our great enemy. Why? Because
the Soviets were communists, and communists were
the sworn enemies of freedom. They were not
merely authoritarians but totalitarians. The
Soviets believed in absolute state control over
every aspect of an individual's life, and they
were intent on spreading their system throughout the world.

I clearly remember being taught that, in the
Soviet Union, fear ruled with an iron fist.
Government spies were everywhere. The secret
police could listen in on your phone calls at any
time. They could read your mail. They could
search your home and other property and seize
whatever they liked. You could never be certain
that you weren't being watched, no matter where
you were. You had to carry identification papers
everywhere you went, and many times you had to
have permission to travel very far at all. And it
wasn't just government agents that you had to be
concerned about; you also had to live with the
fear that your own friends, co-workers or family
members might report you for "suspicious
activities" or "politically questionable
statements," sometimes for no other reason than
to endear themselves to the communist party
bosses. You had no enforceable rights where the
state was concerned. Government agents could kick
your door down in the middle of the night, drag
you away to a state prison, torture you and even
execute you. Your family would never know where
you were. More than likely, you would not have
legal council or ever see the inside of a
courtroom. You were the property of the state,
which was free to do whatever it liked with you.

We called this oppressive, militaristic
mega-state "the Evil Empire," and we prided
ourselves on being everything that the Soviets were not.

In America, the common man had enforceable
rights, even where the government was concerned.
Americans were not the property of the state. You
could travel where you wished, and most of the
time the government didn't care about what you
were doing. Americans could say what they wished,
engage in whatever peaceful political activities
they wished, with no fear of violent reprisal.
Americans did not disappear into gulags. If the
government accused you of illegal activities, it
had to give you a day in court and prove its case
before a jury of your peers. Sure, America had
its problems; virtually everyone admitted that.
But we were still the "land of the free," and our
institutions and daily lives backed that claim to
a high degree, certainly in comparison to the Soviet Union.

This is the dream that was America versus the
nightmare that was the Soviet Union.

Now, fast-forward in time. As I write this, fewer
than twenty years have passed since the Berlin
Wall fell and the Cold War specter lifted. The
Soviet Union is gone, and America...well, if you
had told us in the 1970s or 1980s what America
would be like today, and where it seems to be
heading, I don't think we would have believed you.

You see, today the American government tells us
that it can spy on us whenever and however it
likes. It can read our e-mail and postal mail,
track our financial records, pry into our medical
histories, force libraries to turn over lists of
the books we read, force internet service
providers to turn over records of our surfing
habits, and tap our phones and record our calls.
It can deny us the right to travel without
certain government approved "papers." It can send
its agents into our homes without warrant and
remove whatever it wishes, without ever notifying
us. The president claims that he can seize
anyone, including American citizens, and turn
them into non-persons. The government – the
American government – can arrest you without
warrant, put you into prison without charge, and
hold you for as long as it pleases. It can deny
you legal council and try you before a military
court, where none of the regular rules of
evidence and reasonable person standards apply,
and where your guilt will be assumed. It can
subject to you "enhanced interrogation
techniques" (torture, by any other name – "Ve hev
vays of making you talk"), and you will have no
recourse. Your family may not be permitted to
know where you are. President George W. Bush (a
member of the party that once prided itself on
being the "party of limited government," and that
even now prides itself on being the party that
brought down the Evil Empire) has decided that he
can ignore whatever laws he chooses. He in fact
is the law, in his own opinion. Further, he tells
us that what he and the members of his
administration do is not open to public scrutiny
for "national security" reasons, that they are
not accountable to anyone. In fact, they bristle
if you question them at all, and suggest that
maybe you don't have the best interests of the country in mind.

This is America, 2007; not the Soviet Union,
circa 1980. Like it or not, we are, by degrees,
becoming like the very thing we once hated. And
we are becoming more like it all the time.

Some will call this unpatriotic nonsense. "We're
nothing like the Soviets," they claim. "We're
just changing to meet the changing threats of our
time, and if you haven't done anything wrong, you
don't have anything to worry about."

Really?

So, we can do the same types of things that the
Soviets did but not be like them? We can adopt
their police state tactics, spy on people like
they did, hold secret courts like they did, kick
down doors and haul people away like they did,
throw people into secret prisons like they did,
torture people like they did, refuse to answer
questions like they did, ignore the laws like
they did, and criticize the opposition as being
disloyal like they did...and yet be nothing like
them? Notice that I'm not saying that we're the
same as the Soviets; I'm saying that we're
becoming progressively more like they were, that
we're on a slippery slope here, and that we're
desperately trying to rationalize our way out of
confronting the obvious (torture isn't torture as
long as we don't call it that, etc.).

Tell me, how much evil do you have to do before
you yourself become evil? Is there a certain
magic number of people that we need to have in
prison without charge before it becomes wrong?
How many do we have to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding>waterboard
and stuff into cramped, freezing cells before it becomes un-American?

And as for not having anything to worry about as
long as you haven't done anything wrong – please,
don't tell me you've fallen for this! This
argument assumes two things: 1) that the
government is accountable to someone for what it
does with you, and 2) that it has to prove that
you've done something wrong before anything bad
can happen to you. Neither one of these is
necessarily true anymore. All the government has
to do is classify you as a suspected "terrorist"
and the legal niceties that we used to call
"rights" suddenly vanish, along with all of their
guarantees. If the president and his subordinates
have the authority to ignore the laws of the
land, then whether or not you've done anything
illegal is a moot question by default, because
the law no longer exists as far as you are
concerned! You are no longer being judged by that
standard; you are being judged by the whims of
the powerful, whose motives and actions are not
being judged by anyone. You cannot tie the hands
of the law and then expect it to protect you.

Our Founding Fathers understood this. This is why
they required an oath to support the Constitution
on the part of our government officials, because
they knew that the only way the common people can
be safe from tyranny is if their government is
restrained by the law. The Constitution isn't
there to hinder us, it's there to protect us –
because freedom is fragile. It must be guarded,
handled delicately, cared for like the precious thing that it is.

Some will argue with the comparisons I've made to
the old Soviet Union, because, like General
Maximus, they refuse to believe that our country
is caught up in corruption, that our leaders have
anything but pure motives, and that our men and
women in uniform are dying for nothing but the
most honorable of causes. They too have seen much
of the rest of the world, if only by way of CNN
or Fox News, and they find it brutal and cruel
and dark. America is their light in that
darkness, and as long as it remains a bit
brighter than what they see around them, they
seem willing to overlook the fact that our "city
on a hill" doesn't shine as brightly as it once
did. Cruelty, brutality and darkness are creeping
in here, but as long as we're not as bad as
someone else, we're generally content with our
illusions of safety and superiority. We find no
contradiction, no hypocrisy in speaking the
tyrannical language of the Soviet state with an American accent.

<http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Indivisible-Study-Secession-Constitution/dp/1596820918/lewrockwell/>
[]
God forgive us. The men who froze at Valley
Forge, who crawled up the beaches of Normandy
into the murderous teeth of Nazi machine gun
fire, who faced undreamed of horrors in steamy
jungles thousands of miles from the comforts of
home, did not fight so that we could let our
country slip into the hands of those who would
re-make us in the image of our enemies. Whether
you agree with every cause that Americans have
spilled their blood for or not, we can
acknowledge that most of them believed that they
were fighting for freedom, to protect the
whisper-fragile American dream. They didn't
sacrifice to give us Moscow on the Potomac. We
owe them, ourselves, and the future generations
who must live with the world we give them, more,
much more, than to let this happen with so little struggle.

There was once a dream that was America. And
friends, this is not it. This is not it.

November 2, 2007

Robert Hawes is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Indivisible-Study-Secession-Constitution/dp/1596820918/lewrockwell/>One
Nation, Indivisible? A Study of Secession and the
Constitution. This article, along with his past
writings, can be found on
<http://jeffersonian73.blogspot.com/>his blog. He
lives in South Carolina with his family.

Copyright © 2007 LewRockwell.com