Parents Or Government?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Nov 4 21:50:25 MST 2007

Parents Are Idiots, or So Believes the State

by <mailto:JFedako at aol.com>Jim Fedako
by Jim Fedako

<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.co
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.co
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Email a link to this article
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Email a link to this article
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Printer-friendly version of this article
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
Printer-friendly version of this article
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
View a list of the most popular articles on our site
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html#>
View a list of the most popular articles on our site

<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/fedako5.html&title=Parents%20Are%20Idiots,%20or%20So%20Believes%20the%20State&topic=political_opinion>DIGG
THIS

Thank goodness parents are idiots. Otherwise, at
least half of the current tax-funded bozos – the
so-called public servants whose sole mission is
to supplant parental rights and decision-making –
would be unemployed, taking their aggressive
panhandling to the streets nonetheless. And, we can't have that, can we?

Of course, not all parents are idiots. One
special class of the omniscient exists; those
parents employed by government or associated
organizations (can you say teachers unions).
These folks are never idiots since they drink
from the fountain of enlightenment. The fountain
whose source is the never-ending stream of tax
dollars, and whose drain is the never-clogged pipeline of bloated salaries.

Parents are idiots. Yes, that is a harsh
statement. However, from what I read – from what
the state and its minions believe, it is absolutely true. Offensive, but true.

Alright, put up or shut up! Fair enough.
<http://www.wpri.org/Reports/Volume%2020/Vol20no8/Vol20no8p1.html>A
recently published study on public school choice
looked at the schools parents chose when they
were allowed to select between the various
Milwaukee public schools. The study reports that
many parents chose schools based on nonacademic
reasons; parents chose schools for reasons other
than the state's definition of a quality program.

So there you have it, parents are idiots simply
because they do not choose the state solution.
Moms and dads failed the test of parenting as
defined by the state. Remove the children and
begin mandatory indoctrination, for parent and child alike.

This is by no means the first study to report
such findings. In fact, this study is but one of
many that defines the abilities of parents solely
on their choosing, or not choosing, the state-defined correct answer.

Let's take a different look at this logic:
Consider the intelligence of leaders in the
market place. For example: We know that many
business are run by idiots. How do we know that?
Well, we know for certain that many businesses do
not use the government-favored solution for sending documents and packages.

That's right. In case you were unaware of it,
many businesses owners choose to bypass the US
Postal Service when they need to send important,
time-sensitive stuff in a cheap, competent
manner. Amazing, isn't it? These seemingly
intelligent and successful folks actually forgo
the government solution in favor of a free market one.

Our conclusion is obvious: Based on the logic
applied to parents and school choice, these
business owners must be idiots. In fact, they are
idiots. Call in the bureaucrats to stop the madness.

Here is the rub for all systems of so-called
choice under a government-funded –
taxpayer-funded – system of education: Parental
choice will always fail to meet the arbitrary
standards and ends of the political effete
 er,
elite. No, wait, effete was correct.

This will be true whether the system is one which
includes choice of schools within a school
district, charter schools, or any of the assorted
voucher programs or proposal. In all cases,
parents will choose UPS and FedEx when the
correct choice – in the eyes of the state – is USPS.

It's a rainbow that many like to chase, looking
for the pot of gold that is government-funded
school choice. But, like any true rainbow, the
end – the pot of gold – is over the next hill, just out of reach.

Choice cannot exist when the ends are politically
defined. And, no market can exist where goods
must conform to government standards.

Ardent voucher advocates believe that parents
will spend government funds in a manner that
provides the best education for their children.
Setting aside for the moment the fact that
vouchers are theft and can never be associated
with a free market solution, it is true that
parents will choose what is best for their
children. Nevertheless, what is best is never the
ends deified by the state; politically-derived
curriculum, tests, and standards.

Just as in Milwaukee, parents will opt for
something else; something better. And, with each
parental choice, government, the teachers unions,
and many so-called advocates of school choice,
will begin to build a case against the abilities
of parents to choose what is best for their children.

Regulation upon regulation will appear. The
promised land of innovation and entrepreneurship
associated with tax-funded school choice will
never be reached. Private suppliers of education
will be forced to conform to the ends defined by
the blobs that suffocate DC and every state
capital. And, these ends will never be the ends desired by parents.

The assumed array of educational programs will
begin to look like shelves of generic food; cans
with white wrappers that read "Education.
Caution: contains state indoctrination." The
consumers – the parents and students – will not
be sovereign under this system. No, only the state will have control.

You can paint the pig – government-run education
– and dress it up as choice, but it will be the same pig nonetheless.

Advocate for vouchers and know for a fact that
the end result is more studies claiming that you
are an idiot. Advocate for the end of
tax-supported, government-run schools and the
only thing that you have to fear is the hobo
village of educrats searching for handouts.

Not too worry, they are neither too bright nor too ambitious.

November 3, 2007

Jim Fedako [<mailto:JFedako at aol.com>send him
mail], a homeschooling father of five who lives
in Lewis Center, OH, and maintains a blog:
<http://antipositivist.blogspot.com/>Anti-Positivist.

Copyright © 2007 LewRockwell.com