NATIONAL FLAG FOUNDATION'S FLAG FOLDING CEREMONY

Carl Spitzer cwsiv_2nd at HOTPOP.COM
Mon Nov 12 11:17:33 MST 2007

From: cindi <cincin1mom at yahoo.com>

1782, Not new. It was done at my granddads and it was done at my fil's.
They also gave us a copy of the meaning of the folds with our flag at
the end of the service (my fil).

NATIONAL FLAG FOUNDATION'S FLAG FOLDING CEREMONY

National Flag Foundation presents its own special flag folding ceremony,
incorporating several of the virtues attributed to the colors of the
Flag as specified in 1782 by Charles Thomson, then Secretary of
Congress. National Flag Foundation recommends that this ceremony be read
prior to the actual folding of the flag.

The first fold stands for liberty. In America, we are free to own
property, to elect our government representatives, to attend the church
of our choice, to openly disagree, to travel freely without restriction,
to pursue an education and the “American Dream”. The white stripes of
the Flag symbolize our liberty.

The second fold represents unity. Abraham Lincoln stated that a house
divided against itself cannot stand. National unity in the face of
natural disasters and external threats, such as those posed on September
11, 2001, has preserved our constitutional republic.

The third fold stands for justice. In America we believe that every
person stands equal before the law and is deserving of just and fair
treatment. The laborer and the lawyer are both entitled to justice in
America. The blue of the Flag embodies justice.

The fourth fold symbolizes perseverance. To persevere means to endure,
to remain steadfast despite severe hardship and obstacles. The
Continental Army suffered repeated setbacks before claiming any
significant victory. Yet throughout the brutal winter of 1777 at Valley
Forge, they persevered.

The fifth fold represents hardiness. Hardiness is the ability to
withstand difficulty while remaining resolute despite adversity. The
aggressors in World War II underestimated American hardiness. They
thought that Americans were soft, incapable and unwilling to endure
hardship. Our soldiers and sailors such as those who fought at Normandy
and in Korea proved them wrong.

The sixth fold stands for valor. Valor means courage, the act of
defending what is right even in the face of opposition. Nathan Hale, the
Revolutionary War patriot, was convicted of spying by the British in
1776. Before he was hanged, Hale displayed great valor with his words,
"I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." The red
color in the flag represents valor, symbolic of the blood shed by all
the American heroes who sacrificed for our freedom.

The seventh fold symbolizes purity. A pure nation is free from taint,
from what weakens, pollutes or renders it ineffective. Our Founding
Fathers illuminated freedom's path for us when they created the
Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
The pure intent of these documents enabled the United States of America
to become the greatest of all nations, a land of liberty which beckons
to all who are seeking asylum from persecution and oppression.

The eighth fold represents innocence. Innocence implies that one is
unacquainted with evil and is thus free from sin. George Washington once
stated, "The love of my country will be the ruling influence of my
conduct." Americans pay tribute to him and to all those who give devoted
service to uphold freedom's ideals without selfish or evil motivations.

The ninth fold signifies sacrifice. To sacrifice is to give up something
valued for an ideal, belief or goal. America exists today because of the
sacrifices of countless Americans. Many have made the ultimate sacrifice
of their lives in battles waged during the Revolution, the World Wars,
in Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Afghanistan and other locations around
the world. We pay tribute to them and to the firefighters, policemen,
soup kitchen volunteers, members of our armed forces and numerous others
who continue to sacrifice for freedom.

The tenth fold stands for honor. One who possesses honor possesses a
keen sense of ethical conduct. To honor a person or ideal is to display
respect for them. We give thanks for all who have acted with honor in
the founding and growth of America. We pray that each citizen and all
those who represent us in government will conduct themselves in a manner
that will continue to bring honor to our nation and to our Flag.

The eleventh fold symbolizes independence. Independence is the state of
being free, of being able to make unrestricted choices within the law as
free individuals and as a free nation. Ever since our nation’s birth,
Americans have fiercely defended their independence against all
oppressors. Patrick Henry articulated the sentiments of his fellow
Americans past, present and future when he uttered those famous words,
"Give me liberty, or give me death." America stands as an icon of
freedom and independence for the oppressed of the world. May it always
remain so.

The twelfth fold represents truth. Truth is the body of real events and
facts. It is preserved through adherence to reality and the avoidance of
falsehoods. America was built upon God-given truths articulated in the
Declaration of Independence "that all men are created equal, that they
are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among
these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Adherence to
these truths has made America a great nation. We pledge to continue this
noble legacy of truth so that in America, every man woman and child may
forever be free.