Death Penalty for DWI drivers who kill?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Nov 18 03:11:16 MST 2007

At 04:43 AM 11/18/2007, Richard Whitenight wrote:

>Day in and day out we see countless families affected by the loss of
>a loved one to a drunk driver. To my knowledge, I do not believe
>Intoxication Manslaughter carries the possibility of the death
>penalty? If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I believe in most
>states the worst penalty is Life Without Parole? I personally would
>like to see the death penalty be available to juries when a DWI
>driver kills either a pedestrian, an occupant of another car or an
>occupant in the car driven by the DWI driver.
>
>What say you?

         Having lost a father to a DWI idiot, I can't disagree with
it. Sure, it's stark and somewhat harsh, but then there are a number
of drivers who've been caught driving while intoxicated numbering in
double digits - I kid you not! The ACLU will want to negotiate it
down to the third or fourth DWI bust involving a death. I can just
about hear that happening.

John Q.