HOW TO DESTROY GOD: MARKETED FOR CHILDREN......

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Nov 21 03:01:25 MST 2007

The Conservative Voice
<http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/article.html?id=29329#>
J. Matt Barber

"... Pullman's aversion to God would appear to boil down to sex."
Marketed For Children
The Golden Compass Has no Moral Compass
November 19, 2007
"With The Golden Compass, Phillip Pullman shares
his heart with us ­ a heart that says, “There is no God.”"
---------------------------
With its fantasy world backdrop, its sympathetic
talking animals, and extravagant battle scenes,
the new movie, The Golden Compass, may resemble
C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

But parents be advised, this film ­ which is very
intentionally being marketed toward children ­ is nothing of the sort.

The Golden Compass was created with the benefit
of a multimillion dollar budget and big name
actors such as Nicole Kidman, Kevin Bacon and Sam
Elliot. It opens December 7, and promises to be
action-packed and visually stunning in the epic
tradition of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings.

But upon closer review, it becomes abundantly
clear that both this movie and the man behind it
have a very certain anti-Christian axe to grind.

Based on the first of three secular humanist
children’s books by avowed atheist and British
author Phillip Pullman, The Golden Compass
provides the opening “down with God” salvo in the
author’s His Dark Materials trilogy.

Pullman leaves little question as to his books’
central theme. “I don’t profess any religion,” he
is quoted as saying. “I don’t think it’s possible
that there is a God; I have the greatest
difficulty understanding what is meant by the
words ‘spiritual’ or ‘spirituality.’”

Ironically, Pullman’s confident pronouncement
that there is no God appears to take an exclusive
backseat to his hatred for the very God he
denies. “My books are about killing God,” he told
The Sydney Morning Herald in a 2003 interview.
And in the trilogy’s final offering, The Amber
Spyglass, he does just that ­ he knocks off the
Almighty in a delusional fit of grandeur.

Pullman’s books drip with moral relativism, that
deceptively sweet, yet fruitless nectar of the
secular humanist. His portrayal of God ­ which is
clearly intended to personify the Christian
church ­ is that of an evil authoritarian who
spitefully stifles human creativity, arbitrarily
punishing mankind for very naturally and properly
entertaining base impulses with unfettered license.

In a telling and pivotal moment in the series, a
former nun named “Mary Malone,” who is a central
character, poignantly reflects upon her realization that God does not exist:

“There’s no one to fret, no one to condemn, no
one to bless me for being a good girl, no one to
punish me for being wicked. Heaven was empty. I
didn’t know whether God had died, or whether
there never had been a God at all.”

And isn’t that what atheism is all about, really?
Our fallen desire to have, “no one to punish [us]
for being wicked.” If we can convince ourselves
that there is no God, then we escape
accountability for what we do, or so we believe.
It’s not so much a-theism as it is anti-theism.
In fact, atheism is every bit a religion as any
other. But in the church of the non-believer, the
high priest is cloaked beneath the vestment of
pseudo-“science” and parishioners worship at the altar of moral anarchy.

Still, like so much else in our culture,
Pullman's aversion to God would appear to boil
down to sex. Mary Malone explains that her desire
for sex was her primary purpose for abandoning
the God in Whom she no longer believes. “And I
thought: am I really going to spend the rest of
my life without ever feeling that again?
 And I
took the crucifix from around my neck and I threw
it in the sea. That was it. All over. Gone.
 So,
that was how I stopped being a nun,” she recounts.

Author and attorney David Limbaugh sums up the
anti-theist condition succinctly:

“It seems the most militant ‘anti-theist’ these
days are either arrogant scientists or
unrestrained licentious types whose main
obstacles to faith are not intellectual, but
moral ­ and that moral obstacle seems invariably
to be sex
 sexual perversion, while perhaps not
the worst sin, especially when compared to pride,
for example, seems to be the one galvanizing the modern opponents of God.”

Psalm 14:1 tells us, “The fool says in his heart,
‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, their deeds
are vile; there is no one who does good.”

With The Golden Compass, Phillip Pullman shares
his heart with us ­ a heart that says, “There is
no God.” And he clearly wants to influence your
child’s heart as well. This movie’s creation ­ or
chance materialization, take your pick ­ has a
specific agenda. It is clearly targeted toward
unsuspecting children with the furtive goal of
enlisting the next generation of “fools.”

But do as he will, the loving God Whom Pullman
rejects is bigger than all that. He’s so big, in
fact, that He gave his only Son for you, me, and yes, Phillip Pullman.

Just the same, I think I’ll spend my eleven bucks somewhere else.

<http://www.theconservativevoice.com/articles/%3Ca%20href=>jmattbarber at comcast.net"
Matt Barber is one of the "like-minded men" with
<http://www.cwfa.org/main.asp>Concerned Women for
America. He is an attorney concentrating in
constitutional law and serves as CWA's policy director for cultural issues