Gun Owners Of America To Weigh In On The Supreme Court Gun Ban

Bernie Willis f16rsdad at JUNO.COM
Tue Nov 27 22:35:03 MST 2007

Gun Owners Of America To Weigh In On The Supreme Court Gun Ban
-- Plus, it's time to take care of unfinished business on the
Veterans Disarmament Act

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

By now, you have probably heard the news which was delivered prior to
Thanksgiving that the U.S. Supreme Court will be taking up the DC gun
ban case.

Gun Owners of America's foundation (GOF) will be submitting an amicus
brief before the Supreme Court in support of the lower court's
decision that the Second Amendment protects an individual right.

The case, D.C. v. Heller, resulted in nullification of the gun ban in
the District of Columbia.  Judge Laurence Silberman wrote the
majority opinion for the DC Court of Appeals which decided that the
DC law violated the individual right to keep and bear arms protected
by the Second Amendment.

Silberman's opinion was based on an extensive review of the
historical record which makes it clear that the militia was intended
to be a mandatory body composed of all military-aged males who were
required to own their own military weapons.  He found that the
"state" referred to in the Second Amendment is a reference to
society, not a political entity.

The city of Washington, DC is contesting the appellate court's
decision in an attempt to preserve its draconian gun ban.

But the Gun Owners Foundation has commissioned one of the nation's
top experts in constitutional law.  The GOF brief will highlight
recent legal scholarship which argues that the Second Amendment right
to bear arms is as much an individual right as the First Amendment's
guarantee of freedom of speech.

GOF could definitely use your tax deductible contribution to help
fund this case.  Please go to http://www.gunowners.com/donate.htm to
donate online and help Gun Owners Foundation defend our Second
Amendment rights in our highest court!

Is A Do-Nothing Congress Always Bad?

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) made headlines recently when discussing
the frustrations that Democrats have had in using their power to push
their agenda through the Congress.

Earlier this month, Newsday reported that, "Democrats seeking to make
good on such promises as... passing stricter gun laws... have found
themselves thwarted by Senate rules."  Gun owners should say
"thank
you" to Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) who is responsible for this
slowdown, as he is the champion who has placed a "hold" on the
Veterans Disarmament Act!

This has been very aggravating for Rep. McCarthy.  "I thought that
since I'd even gotten the NRA's cooperation, this would be a walk in
the park," she said in reference to the Veterans Disarmament Act that
she introduced in the House.  "It has been frustrating."

You will remember that it pretty much was a "walk in the
park" in the
House, as the bill sailed through that chamber without a recorded
vote.  And that takes us to our unfinished business.

After the bill cleared the House in June, you immediately started
lobbying your Senators, asking them to oppose the bill.  But now that
the bill has stalled in that chamber, we need to let the House
members know that it was reprehensible for gun control to pass the
House WITHOUT a recorded vote.  Moreover, we need to tell them that
if the Senate sends the bill back to the House, we don't want this to
happen again.

We realize that most of the rank-and-file congressmen were hoodwinked
by the Democratic leadership in June.  On the night of June 12, the
legislative report (which was sent to every congressman to advise
them of the votes they would face the following day) did NOT INCLUDE
the Veterans Disarmament Act on the schedule.  But the decision was
then made in the early morning hours to ram the bill through before
lunch.

Most Congressmen never saw it coming.  They were fooled once... they
need to be on guard the next time and make sure it doesn't happen
again.

ACTION:  Please use the letter below to contact your Representative
and ask him to do everything in his power to kill the Veterans
Disarmament Act -- or at a minimum, to make sure that the bill gets a
recorded vote, should it find its way back to the House.  You can use
the pre-written message below and send it as an e-mail by visiting
the GOA Legislative Action Center at
http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm (where phone and fax numbers
are also available).

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Representative:

How ironic that at a time when the U.S. Supreme Court may very well
strike down DC's draconian gun ban, the Congress might pass a
pernicious gun ban on veterans and other Americans.

The legislation I'm talking about is HR 2640 (S 2084), which has been
opposed by the American Legion, the Military Order of the Purple
Heart and Gun Owners of America.  This bill has been sponsored by
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy and will result in the disarmament of hundreds
of thousands of veterans who risked life and limb in defense of our
nation.

I was appalled by the fact that the Veterans Disarmament Act -- let's
call it what it really is -- passed the House WITHOUT A RECORDED
VOTE!  And I am disappointed that there was no one on the floor of the
House on June 13 to demand such a record.

I realize that most of the rank-and-file congressmen were hoodwinked
by the Democratic leadership in June.  On the night of June 12, the
legislative report (which was sent to every congressman to advise
them of the votes they would face the following day) did NOT INCLUDE
the McCarthy bill on the schedule.  But the decision was then made in
the early morning hours to ram the bill through before lunch.

I hope that the Senate will stand up for my rights and kill this
legislation.  But should it come back to the House after a conference
committee, I hope that you will do everything in your power to make
sure this bill never sees the light of day.

Fair warning:  If the bill passes without a recorded vote, I will
hold you just as responsible as if you had voted "aye."  To
get keep
abreast of this legislation, I encourage you to keep in contact with
Gun Owners of America or go to their very informative section (on the
Veterans Disarmament Act) which can be found at
http://www.gunowners.org/netb.htm on their website.

Sincerely,

address may also be made at that location.

To unsubscribe send a message to
gunowners_list at capwiz.mailmanager.net with the word unsubscribe in
the subject line or use the url below.

Problems, questions or comments? The main GOA e-mail address
goamail at gunowners.org is at your disposal. Please do not add that
address to distribution lists sending more than ten messages per
week or lists associated with issues other than gun rights.

---