Brave New Schools?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Nov 30 01:02:48 MST 2007

WND Exclusive

Cross-dressing day sparks school exodus
Parents pull students from district, citing conflicts with biblical rules

1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>public
school's "gender-bender" cross-dressing event,
where boys were supposed to dress as girls and
girls as boys, has prompted at least dozens,
perhaps hundreds, of students to flee the tax-supported institutions in Iowa.

Many of the parents apparently are members of the
<http://www.wnd.com/redir/r.asp?http://www.christapostolictemple.org/index.html>Christ
Apostolic Temple in Des Moines, which teaches a
biblically based doctrine of rejecting the world's values.

"Christ Apostolic Temple Inc. Fellowship ... is a
Bible-based organization that believes one must
'come out from among them and be ye separate.' (2
Cor. 6:14-17)," the organization's website says.

[]

The Des Moines
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>schools
are celebrating a centenary, but have lost
students this year because of one school's promotion of cross-dressing

That apparently includes cross-dressing, an event
which has found sponsorship in other arenas from
the Gay, Lesbian and Straight
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>Education
Network, which
<http://www.wnd.com/redir/r.asp?http://www.glsenla.jeffmo.com/html/lesson_plans_48.html>has
promoted a school lesson plan for teaching boys and girls to cross-dress.

State officials in Des Moines confirmed to WND
that at least 80 children whose parents were
alarmed by the "Gender-Bender Day" during
homecoming week at the city's East High School
have moved their children from the various
districts in the area into
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>homeschooling
plans. Several parents told WND that the number could be in the hundreds.

(Story continues below)

One parent, writing on a blog shortly after the
cross-dressing promotion, hardly could contain the outrage.

In bold red type, the parent wrote, "TUESDAY AT
ONE OF OUR LOCAL
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>HIGH
SCHOOLS THEY HAD WHAT IS CALLED 'GENDER BENDER
DAY!' IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THAT IS THEN LET ME
EDUCATE YOU REAL QUICK
 IT IS WHERE THE BOYS
DRESS LIKE GIRLS AND VICE VERSA!!"

The author continued, "THIS WAS ALLOWED AND
CARRIED OUT AT OUR SCHOOLS!!!
 I IMMEDIATELY
PULLED MY CHILD OUT OF THE DES MOINES PUBLIC
SCHOOL! WE ARE NOW HOMESCHOOLING ALONG WITH SEVERAL HUNDRED OTHER PARENTS!"

"I AM GETTING MAD WHILE I TYPE THIS
 SO I NEED TO SHUT IT DOWN
"

Barb Heki is a board member for the Network of
Iowa Christian
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>Home
Educators, and was ecstatic about the parental response.

"I'm just praising God there is a church with so
many families that would take a biblical stand
and decide that we're not going to put our
children under anti-Christian indoctrination any
longer. That's refreshing and encouraging," she told WND.

A mother whose children were taken out of the
public schools because of the cross-dressing
promotion didn't want to be identified, but told
WND she knows of probably 200 families who filled
out state-required paperwork to withdraw their children from public schools.

"What it is is we're following the Bible," she
told WND. "There was a situation that took place,
which was the gender bender day. Our children
were to participate in the cross-dressing. When
they refused they were told they would get a bad grade..."

"The situation came out, and everybody was
disgusted," she said. "Well, we're not doing it.
All we did was pulled our kids out. Nothing more to be said or done."

Officials with Christ Apostolic Temple, which
describes itself as an apostolic holiness
fellowship, couldn't be reached for comment. But
parents who talked to WND said it was a move of
parents, nothing mandated or organized by the church.

<http://www.wnd.com/redir/r.asp?http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070926/NEWS/709270316/-1/archive>An
advertisement in the Des Moines newspaper said
the event was part of the theme days for the
school's homecoming events. "Tuesday, dress in
clothing of the opposite sex for Gender Bender
Day," were the instructions. Other days were
"Movie Theme Day," and "Spirit Day."

Phil Roeder, a spokesman for the
<http://www.wnd.com/redir/r.asp?http://www.dmps.k12.ia.us/schools/3East/>Des
Moines schools, told WND that the event was nothing unusual.

"There were a couple of calls at the office at
the school from parents that were concerned," he
told WND. But he said the district itself had not
seen any unusual activity regarding homeschooling.

"Let's just say the numbers you are hearing are
greatly exaggerated," Roeder told WND. "Events
like this at a high school are part of homecoming
week activities and certainly are not mandated
events. They're voluntary activities that the students put on.

"Now if the parents had any indication that their
students were coerced or bullied then that's
another matter. They've not brought that to my knowledge," he said.

State officials said the list of 80 students they
had reviewed included students from virtually all
grades and dozens of schools in several
districts, making it unlikely a single district
would have a large number of students affected.

East High recently was the chosen location when
Iowa Lt. Gov. Patti Judge announced a new state
award highlighting increased diversity in the state.

"The "One Iowa Award" recognizes those who are
working to create a "unified Iowa."

Judge said making that a reality takes input from
Iowans "regardless of their race, age, gender,
nationality or sexual orientation." The
announcement had been staged to include East High
students talking about the importance of diversity.

State law in Iowa also provides parents a tax
credit for some costs of students attending
"accredited" schools, but does not allow
homeschooling parents the same benefit.

<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>State
Education Department officials said they had
provided information to the church members about
their rights and responsibilities should they
choose to start a private school, or pursue homeschooling options.

"Let us see what the word of God says about the
matter
" wrote the parent blogger. "Deut. 22:5.
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth
unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's
garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

The
<http://www.wnd.com/redir/r.asp?http://www.pji.org>Pacific
Justice Institute reports that in a prior school
year, a California school dealt with the same issue.

Officials at Adams
<http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58914#>Middle
School in the Bay Area had announced a "gender switch" day.

"The mother of a seventh-grade student
 was
alarmed when she heard that on the last day of
the school's 'Spirit Week,' students were being
encouraged to dress like the opposite sex.
Perhaps even more disturbingly, parents were
given virtually no advance notice from the school
and found out about the event after flyers were
posted throughout the campus," PJI reported.

"The parent contacted Pacific Justice Institute
on Monday, which advised her on enlisting other
parents' support and communicating with the
school. PJI also began laying the groundwork to
hold the school accountable
 In a 180-degree
turnaround, the flyers posted about the gender
switch day had disappeared by Tuesday morning,
and the school confirmed the event had been canceled."

The principal, Adam Clark, had said he wanted to
encourage students to be "free thinkers," but the
"overall message wasn't coming across clear."

"We commend the parents in this school who said,
'Enough is enough' and challenged the
administration to re-think its position," Brad
Dacus, president of PJI, said at the time. "No
student should be made to feel uncomfortable at
school simply because he doesn't want to cross-dress."