Murder Before Hitting The "Friendly Skies"?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Oct 4 00:17:12 MDT 2007

The Killing of Carol Ann Gotbaum?

by <mailto:libertatem at netzero.com>Becky Akers
by Becky Akers

<http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.co

<http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
Email a link to this article
 <http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
Email a link to this article
   <http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
Printer-friendly version of this article

Printer-friendly version of this article
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
View a list of the most popular articles on our site

View a list of the most popular articles on our site
<http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html#>
<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers72.html&title=The%20Killing%20of%20Carol%20Ann%20Gotbaum?&topic=political_opinion>DIGG
THIS

Contortionists worldwide must be mourning the
death of Carol Anne Gotbaum. She was an artist of
unparalleled talent, if you believe the cops who
arrested, trussed, and imprisoned her at Sky
Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona.
She died in their custody last Friday because
"[she] had possibly tried to manipulate the
handcuffs from behind her to the front, got
tangled up in the process and they ended up
around her neck," according to
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/09/29/2007-09-29_betsy_gotbaums_daughterinlaw_dies_in_pho.html?ref=rss>Sgt.
Andy Hill.

Go ahead: try it. Hold your hands behind your
back and raise them. Now you truly appreciate
Mrs. Gotbaum's unbelievable skill: it's
impossible to lift your arms more than a few
vertebrae upward. They won't go anywhere near your neck.

Oddly, no account of Mrs. Gotbaum's death
mentions her prowess as a pretzel. We learn
instead that she was 45, that she held an MBA
from a South African university, and that she
leaves behind "three very small children. It's a
very delicate matter," her grieving mother-in-law
told the
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/09/29/2007-09-29_betsy_gotbaums_daughterinlaw_dies_in_pho.html?ref=rss>New
York Daily News.

"Delicate." Hmmm. Not exactly the word I'd use.

Mrs. Gotbaum was late for a flight on US Airways
Express Friday afternoon. Don't even think of
blaming the Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) and its senseless checkpoint
charade; tardiness is always our fault, as
<http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2007/press_release_05242007b.shtm>the
TSA's website explains: "Be prepared and plan
ahead for security. Passenger preparedness for
the security process can have a significant
impact on wait times at the checkpoint."

Nevertheless, something – and it's a good bet
those "wait times" played a significant part –
kept Mrs. Gotbaum from reaching her gate until
"<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21054442/>the plane
was already preparing to depart." She then made
the fatal mistake of complaining rather than
kowtowing when USA Airways personnel prohibited
her from boarding. Thanks to the
<http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00046504----000-.html>laws
deputizing airline crews, most passengers smile
and shuffle no matter how abusive those uniformed
bullies become. Not Mrs. Gotbaum. As a customer
who'd bought a seat on a plane still sitting at
the gate, she apparently thought that the airline should accommodate her.

Since Mrs. Gotbaum isn't here to defend herself,
we have only the word of US Airways and the cops
on what happened now. "She was rebooked on the
next flight, but 'she became extremely irate,
apparently running up and down the gate area,'"
<http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/203863>according
to Derek Hanna of US Airways.

That's a no-no. The aviation industry no longer
tolerates any reaction but subservience. It
tacitly equates rage at its abuses with
terrorism. This allows its myrmidons to call the
cops when customers vent their frustration.

We aren't told how many thugs piled on to subdue
a 45-year-old mother of three. "Airport workers

said one cop put his knee in her back to restrain
her while others grabbed her flailing arms."
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/01/2007-10-01_gotbaum_kins_plea_before_dying_im_not_a_.html>The
New York Daily News quoted a witness: "I believe
she was a little not-there. She kept punching.
She kept screaming. She kept kicking. She looked
really scared, really frightened. I think she was afraid to go to jail."

Meanwhile, poor Mrs. Gotbaum labored under
another illusion as fatal as her belief that
airlines should treat customers like customers:
the totalitarianism at airports is meant to catch
terrorists rather than to intimidate citizens
while conditioning them to government searches.
And so she sought to set her captors straight.
"I'm not a terrorist! I'm a sick mom! I need
help!"
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/01/2007-10-01_gotbaum_kins_plea_before_dying_im_not_a_.html>she
"yelled."

Wanna bet the cops laughed at her naïveté as they
hauled her off to a cell? But Mrs. Gotbaum didn't
go gently into that dark night. Her kidnappers
say she screamed and kept on screaming.

Astonishing, the mettle required of police. We
civilians would feel responsible for traumatizing
a fellow human being so badly that she shrieks
without intermission. We'd try to relieve her
distress by releasing her. Not Phoenix's finest.
They contented themselves with
<http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0929airportdeath-ON.html>"[coming]
in to check on Gotbaum every fifteen minutes.
About five to 10 minutes had passed and the
officers had not heard Gotbaum's voice, so
someone came in to check on her, according to
police." A woman healthy enough to "run up and
down the gate area" an hour or two before now lay
"unconscious and not breathing. Paramedics were
unable to revive her." But
<http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/203863>"authorities"
assure us that "neither a Taser nor pepper spray
was used on the woman." Uh-huh.

Not counting crashes, this is the second fatality
to American aviation's credit since 9/11. Air
marshals killed a 44-year-old missionary in
December 2005 when they shot Rigoberto Alpizar in
a jetway. Mr. Alpizar had changed his mind about
flying and tried to disembark from a flight
preparing to leave Miami. Two marshals followed
him off the plane and slaughtered him. They
claimed he was shouting about a bomb.
<http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1138965,00.html>Other
passengers aboard the flight flatly denied that.
Many insisted the only time they heard the b-word
was when authorities later questioned them.

But the government's version triumphed over the
truth.
<http://www.miamisao.com/publications/press/2006/airmarshalshooting.pdf>Florida's
State Attorney refused to indict the marshals for
murder; the
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-12-08-marshals-defense_x.htm>White
House even commended them. Those who never knew
Mr. Alpizar as a
"<http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-12-08-shooting-reactions_x.htm>loving,
gentle and caring husband, uncle, brother, son
and friend" quickly forgot his death. He had no politically powerful relatives.

Mrs. Gotbaum does. Her mother-in-law is Betsy
Gotbaum, a Democratic hack who's pestered New
York City for decades. Betsy now reigns as
<http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/index.html>Public
Advocate – an office one step below the mayor's.
When
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/09/29/2007-09-29_betsy_gotbaums_daughterinlaw_dies_in_pho.html?ref=rss>she
says, "We are very concerned about what happened
at Phoenix airport. It's under investigation and
we are following that investigation," goons in
Arizona tremble. They know that enforcers in a
police state can murder folks like Rigoberto
Alpizar with impunity. But snuffing a
politician's family or friends
that's as big a
no-no as a passenger's protesting shoddy service.

Betsy's got them sweating so profusely that
spokesman Andy Hill was out there again, trying
to bolster their lie. This time he wants us to
believe that contortionists are a dime a dozen
and even less law-abiding than your average serf:
"'There are many people that are able to get
handcuffs around their back and get them up and
around,'"
<http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/01/phoenix.airport.death/index.html?eref=yahoo>Hill
said. "How the handcuffs 'got placed on that neck area
we don't know yet.'"

Ah, but something tells me we soon will.

October 2, 2007

Becky Akers [<mailto:libertatem at netzero.com>send
her mail] writes primarily about the American Revolution.

Copyright © 2007 LewRockwell.com