Stuff You Just Can't Make Up........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Oct 7 00:27:46 MDT 2007

SINCE 1994 and reaching more than 120,000 readers in over 200
countries, this is the 694th weekly issue of...

THIS is TRUE: 30 October 2007 Copyright
<http://www.thisistrue.com>http://www.thisistrue.com
DO IT YOURSELF:

A man who went through the self-checkout station at a Home Depot
store in Seattle, Wash., accidentally punched the button on the
computer for Spanish. The man then apparently became "frustrated that
the machine was speaking Spanish" to him, the resulting police report
said. The first item he was trying to buy: a pry bar. He used it to
smash the computer, dropped the pry bar in his shopping cart, and
walked out. The store said the man, who was not found by police,
caused $10,000 in damage. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer) ...Good thing
he wasn't buying a chainsaw.

FREE PARKING:

A security guard at the newly reopened Mustang Ranch brothel heard a
child crying in the parking lot. He investigated and found a
2-year-old girl left alone in a car parked there. He brought her
inside and called the sheriff. Deputies say the girl was probably
left for two hours in the car in 95-degree heat. She was treated for
dehydration at a local hospital. Once the father, Lucien Hoffman of
Bend, Ore., finally emerged from the brothel, he was arrested on
charges of child neglect. (Reno Gazette-Journal) ...How can a guy
that stupid afford two hours in a brothel?

TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE:

"I was just walking along the pavement and heard the police car siren
coming behind us," says Daniel Horne, 28. He was walking in Beddau,
Wales, on the sidewalk, and the police car jumped up off the roadway
and hit him. "The car hit my right leg and I fell over, with my foot
being crushed under the front wheel of the patrol car."

The apologetic officer took Horne to the hospital, stayed with him
for three hours as his foot was put in a cast, and then gave him a
ride home. But Horne's ordeal wasn't over: the officer cited him for
"criminal damage" -- denting the police car -- which carried an 80
pound (US$160) fine. He has hired a lawyer to fight the fine -- and
sue the police. A police spokesman says they have "received a
complaint from Mr. Horne, and are looking into it." (London Daily
Mail) ...And will charge a mere 80 pound "investigative fee" for that.

SOMETHING FISHY'S GOING ON HERE:

The state of Colorado, assisted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, have been working since the 1970s to  try to restore the
Colorado State Fish, the greenback cutthroat trout, to rivers in the
Rockies. The University of Colorado just did a study to see how
they're doing. The result: DNA analysis shows that the fish being
stocked in the rivers all that time isn't the greenback cutthroat
trout, but rather the Colorado River cutthroat trout. (Denver Rocky
Mountain News) ...In related news, the Colorado legislature has
introduced a bill to name the Colorado River cutthroat trout the
state's Official Fish.

WHAT NIGHTMARES ARE MADE OF:

"Detective Posed as Corpse to Catch Funeral Parlour Vandals" --
London Daily Mail headline

DID YOU FIND an error? See
<http://www.thisistrue.com/errata.html>http://www.thisistrue.com/errata.html

AND WE'RE OFF:

This is True Readers' China Tour starts next week, and Kit and I are
already on the way to Hong Kong -- I'm writing this on the plane,
actually, and will send it when we stop in San Francisco. We left a
bit early since Kit has some meetings there (hey: may as well while
we're there!) and so I can meet our guide early and be sure
everything will go as smoothly as possible. But that doesn't mean no
one is minding the store: Katie will be here to take care of your
renewal (etc.) orders, and TRUE *should* come out each week on time.

I'll be posting some of the more interesting travel stories on my
blog, along with some photos and, perhaps, a short video or three. To
find just those entries on my blog easily, they'll be categorized as
"China":
<http://www.thisistrue.com/travel/china/>http://www.thisistrue.com/travel/china/
-- where you'll find our itinerary ...and learn where we'll be going
on our next trip.

  o o o

THIS WEEK'S HONORARY UNSUBSCRIBE goes to Charles B. Griffith. A
screenwriter and director, Griffith mostly worked for B-movie
producer Roger Corman. Griffith wrote the scripts for Corman films
such as "Attack of the Crab Monsters", "Not of This Earth", "A Bucket
of Blood", "Teenage Doll", "Creature from the Haunted Sea" and "Rock
All Night". But he's best known for 1960's "The Little Shop of
Horrors", where Griffith also provided the voice for the carnivorous
plant, "Audrey Jr.", who kept urging Seymour to "Feed me!" The film
was later adapted into a stage musical, which was then itself adapted
back to a successful film. "Griffith's scripts were very imaginative
and often quirky and kind of subversive," says science fiction film
commentator Tom Weaver. "And when you look at any list of Roger
Corman's early  pictures, those were the ones that put Corman on the
map." Griffith died at his home on September 28 at 77.
-- Honorary Unsubscribe archive:

TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHERE TO GO? "Get Out of Hell Free" with our
popular and (in?)famous cards, created in response to a reader
telling Randy he was doomed. <http://www.GOOHF.com>http://www.GOOHF.com

SUBSCRIPTIONS to "This is True" are free at
<http://www.thisistrue.com>http://www.thisistrue.com  Published
weekly by ThisIsTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway CO 81432 USA (ISSN
1521-1932). TRUE is available to newspapers as a regular feature
column. "This is True" is a registered trademark of ThisIsTrue.Inc

COPYRIGHT 2007 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. All stories
are completely rewritten by Randy Cassingham using facts from the
noted sources. ALL broadcast, publication, retransmission to e-mail
lists, WWW or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or
not, is STRICTLY PROHIBITED without PRIOR written permission from the
author. MANUAL FORWARDING by e-mail to friends is allowed IF 1) the
text is forwarded IN ITS ENTIRETY, from the "Since 1994" line on top
through the end of this paragraph and 2) NO FEE is charged. We
REQUEST that you forward no more than three copies to any one person
-- after that, they should get their own FREE subscription. We ALWAYS
appreciate people who report violations of our copyright to us.