Our Dysfunctional Republic - Part IV

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Oct 13 22:30:35 MDT 2007

[]

Our Dysfunctional Republic

By Neal Ross

Sept. 10, 2007 | Part IV

How can the people of this country know if, and when, their government's
overstepping their authority if they do not understand what authority their
government has to begin with...?

It is estimated that close to a million people visit our nation's
National Archives every year. For many of those people it must be
similar to a pilgrimage to see a sacred part of our nation's history.
I wonder though, how many of those visitors could tell you what the
Constitution actually says? If the percentage is similar to what I
have encountered, I would venture to guess that not many at all could
tell you much about what the Constitution actually says.

Not only is that unfortunate, it is truly pathetic. This document
describes exactly what our government can and cannot do. How can the
people of this country know if, and when, their government is
overstepping their authority if they do not understand what authority
their government has to begin with?

I have used this quote by Patrick Henry on a previous occasion, but I
feel it is important enough that it be considered again, "The
Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the
people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

If you were to take the time to examine the laws our government has
been passing you would find that our government is doing just what
Patrick Henry said the constitution was to safeguard us from. The
tables have been turned and that the laws our government is passing
are, for all intensive purposes, restraining the people of this
country and infringing upon our personal liberties.

Article 6 of the Constitution clearly states that, "This
Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made
in pursuance thereof; ... shall be the supreme law of the land; and
the judges in every state shall be bound thereby..."

To understand what is meant by the individual clauses of the
Constitution you must have a rudimentary understanding of English, a
decent vocabulary, and the proper usage of grammar. Take the above
sentence from Article 6, "This Constitution, and the laws of the
United States which shall be made in the pursuance thereof...shall be
the supreme law of the land." That could easily be misunderstood, or
misrepresented to mean that all laws passed by the government are the
supreme laws of the land. Not so! Look up the word pursuance and you
will see that it means, the act of carrying into effect. So, in truth
what that statement says is that the Constitution, and all the laws
that are passed which aid in carrying into effect those contained
within it are to be considered the supreme law of the land. It does
not mean that every law that our government passes is legal, valid,
or to be considered binding.

In the Federalist Papers, #78, written by Alexander Hamilton, we find
the following, "There is no position which depends on clearer
principles, than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to
the tenor of the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No
legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid."

The Constitution was, as Patrick Henry explained, an 'instrument for
the people to restrain the government'. Think of it as a handbook, a
guide, so the people would know just exactly what the government
could and could not do. So according to Article 6, it is the supreme
law of the land, and according to Alexander Hamilton, 'No legislative
act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid.'
Therefore if we are not informed as to what the Constitution says, we
cannot be know if the laws our government is passing are within it's
powers or if they are beyond their powers.

Each and every elected official, from the president to all our
senators and congressmen are bound by oath to support that document.
They are there to represent the people of this country, not to rule
over them. Thomas Jefferson once said, "The will of the people is the
only legitimate foundation of any government..."

Before I go any further I want to explain something. You will by now
have noticed that I rely heavily upon quotations by our founding
fathers. The reason for this is best explained in a quote by James
Madison, "Do not separate text from historical background. If you do,
you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can
only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government."

What Madison meant is that to truly understand the Constitution, you
must rely upon the historical background behind it. If you do not,
the Constitution is open to misinterpretation which will lead to a
form of government that does not follow the guidelines contained
within it. The best way to understand the Constitution is to rely
upon the writings of those who created it. Only they can explain what
they meant by the words contained within it.

The Constitution was fought for and debated upon by people who had
recently fought a war for their independence from a tyrannical
government. They wanted to ensure that the form of government they
created would never end up like the one they had just fought. Every
article, every clause, every phrase of the Constitution should be
read keeping that thought in mind.

The Constitution, as ratified, contains seven articles and ten
amendments, which are known as the Bill of Rights. Article 1 covers
the legislative branch of the government. Article 2 covers the
Executive branch, or the President and Vice President. Article 3
covers the Judicial branch. Article 4 covers the rights of the states
in respect to the union. Article 5 covers the process for amending
the Constitution. Article 6 covers the legal status of the
Constitution, and Article 7 covers the ratification process.

One final note before I start my discussion of Article 1. The terms
legislative and Executive need be understood by all who wish to
understand the functions of those particular branches of our
government. Legislative comes from the root word legislate, or to
create law. The Executive comes from the root word execute, or to do
what is called for (as by law). In the Federalist Papers, # 75,
Alexander Hamilton states, "The essence of the legislative authority
is to enact laws, or in other words, to prescribe rules for the
regulation of the society: while the execution of the laws and the
employment of the common strength, either for this purpose, or for
the common defense seem to comprise all the functions of the
executive magistrate." In other words, the Congress has the power to
create the laws, while the president puts them into effect and makes
sure they are enforced. If you understand that it will be much easier
to understand the violations that have taken place by the various
branches of our government.

...to be continued

Neal Ross

Comments on my writing?