Clintons Have Sent Socks Packing!!!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Oct 22 00:10:10 MDT 2007

<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2702804.ece>

 From The Sunday Times
October 21, 2007

Ouch! Hillary Clinton's softer image is clawed over dumped cat

Socks the cat

Sarah Baxter

<http://www.hillaryclinton.com/video/>See Clinton's video webpage

AS THE “first pet” of the Clinton era, Socks, the
White House cat, allowed “chilly” Hillary Clinton
to show a caring, maternal side as well as
bringing joy to her daughter Chelsea. So where is Socks today?

Once the presidency was over, there was no room
for Socks any more. After years of loyal service
at the White House, the black and white cat was
dumped on Betty Currie, Bill Clinton’s personal
secretary, who also had an embarrassing clean-up
role in the saga of his relationship with the intern Monica Lewinsky.

Some believe the abandoned pet could now come
between Hillary Clinton and her ambition to
return to the White House as America’s first woman president.

Related Links

    *
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article2652770.ece>Obama’s
wife takes fight to Clinton
    *
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2681567.ece>Clinton
rivals cling to Iowa to prevent coronation

Clinton has been boosting her prospects in the
past week with some homespun references to her
gender as part of a series of events with the
theme Women Changing America, during which she
chatted girlfriend-to-girlfriend and mom-to-mom with female voters.

The softening of Clinton’s image seems to be
working. Her chief strategist, Mark Penn,
predicts that up to a quarter of Republican women
will vote for her. She leads Democratic rivals in
the polls by 26 points and is scooping up more
donations to her war chest from Wall Street and
defence contractors than any candidate from
either party – an unmistakable indicator of who they think will win in 2008.

Clinton’s treatment of Socks cuts to the heart of
the questions about her candidacy. Is she too
cold and calculating to win the presidency? Or
does it signify political invincibility by
showing she is willing to deploy every weapon to get what she wants?

“In the annals of human evil, off-loading a pet
is nowhere near the top of the list,” writes
Caitlin Flanagan in the current issue of The
Atlantic magazine. “But neither is it dead last,
and it is especially galling when said pet has
been deployed for years as an all-purpose character reference.”

Flanagan’s article, headed No Girlfriend of Mine,
points out that Clinton wrote a crowd-pleasing
book Dear Socks, Dear Buddy: Kids’ Letters to the
First Pets, in which she claimed that only with
the arrival of Socks and his “toy mouse” did the White House “become a home”.

Being Clinton, she also lectured readers that
pets are an “adoption instead of an acquisition”
and warned them to look out for their safety.
(Buddy, the chocolate laborador, it should be
noted, bounded into a road soon after leaving the
White House and was promptly run over.)

Despite these misadventures, Peggy Noonan,
President Ronald Reagan’s former speech-writer,
believes Clinton is doing a good job of
humanizing herself. “I am not saying she has
learnt to be herself,” she observed. “I think
after a year on the trail she has learnt how not
to be herself, how to comfortably adopt a skin and play a part.”

Clinton has been coming up with some teasing
one-liners, telling trade unionists “I'm your
girl” and laughing on daytime television about
the differences between her and her male rivals:
“Well, look how much longer it takes me to get ready.”

At another event, she joked about how the other
candidates were focusing on her. “I didn't know
what to make of it, and then a friend of mine
said, ‘You know when you get to be our age,
having that much attention from all these men . . .”

It is a disarming tactic, which her rivals are
finding difficult to counter without appearing
unchivalrous. But the outline of a “stop Hillary”
campaign is taking shape, with critics accusing
her of being an inexperienced, flip-flopping
opportunist who owes her success purely to dynasty.

Rudy Giulianni, the Republican front runner, has
sharpened his attacks on Clinton for lacking
experience. “She’s never run a city, she’s never
run a state, she’s never run a business, she has
never met a payroll,” the former New York mayor
said. “She has never been responsible for the
safety . . . of millions of people.”

He has gone after Clinton’s tax-and-spend
policies, including an uncosted suggestion that
every newborn child should receive a $5,000 “baby
bond” that would grow over time and help pay for
college. The last Democratic candidate to propose
a similar scheme, George McGovern, lost 49 out of
50 states in the 1972 election.

Soon after Giulianni went on the warpath, Clinton
discovered she had other priorities and shelved the idea.

Barrack Obama, Clinton’s closest Democratic
rival, has begun to criticize her more directly,
claiming last week: “We've had enough of . . .
triangulation and poll-driven politics.” In one
such example, Clinton backed a Senate resolution
calling the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a
terrorist organization, earning rebukes from
Obama and John Edwards, the third-placed
candidate. She then co-sponsored another
resolution that would prohibit an attack on Iran
without authorization from Congress.

The financial sleaze that dominated the final
Clinton years is also making a comeback. After
Norman Hsu, one of Clinton’s biggest campaign
“bundlers”, was exposed as a fraud, it emerged
last week that waiters, dishwashers and street
pedlars in New York’s Chinatown have been handing
over $1,000 and $2,000 sums to her campaign –
some with genuine pride, others because they were
ordered to do so by neighborhood bosses.

Clinton said last week that her front runner
status made her uncomfortable. “It makes me
nervous and we will still work to earn every vote,” she said.

But the advantage she enjoys with women is
considerable. Penn believes the “emotional
element” of being the first woman presidential
nominee in history will “throw the Republicans
for a loop”. So far every attack has bounced off her.

Perhaps the cautionary tale of Socks the cat will
make a difference. “Hillary’s insistence that we
follow her example in pet ownership, when she
really should be on Cat Fancy’s Most Wanted List,
makes her a tiresome bore,” Flanagan writes.

“But exploiting the emotions of good-natured
people – well, that’s just another example of her
three-decade-long drift from the girl she once
was to the woman that circumstance and ambition have made her.”
<end>