Are You *ANGRY*, Yet?!?

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Tue Oct 23 16:19:19 MDT 2007

At 08:02 PM 10/22/2007, you wrote:
>At 08:48 PM 10/22/2007, Stephen A. Frye wrote:
>
>>Of course we pay for it. So explain all of this to the builders,
>>tradesmen, excavators, etc who hire these people. They couldn't
>>give crap one less. They care about one thing - the almighty
>>dollar, and their own bottom line. They're trying to save money and
>>accumulate wealth. That's the goal, right?
>
>         Yes, but I think you'll agree with me that they are going
> about it all wrong. Capitalism isn't about exploiting this group or
> that group and stiffing somebody else way over yonder. Capitalism
> is about providing the answer to someone else's needs for a fee.
>
>         Capitalism need not be predatory, destructive, or ruinous
> to one's own country or even neighborhood. Capitalism, like
> freedom, must have solid moral underpinnings or it shall collapse
> like a house of cards. Those thoughts are not mine, but from the
> learned mind of Dr. George Reisman, head of the Economics
> Department at Pepperdine - paraphrased, of course - from his
> gargantuan tome, "Capitalism". This was once of my texts during
> graduate school. I still have the book and refer to it often.

I agree.  In total.  But I don't see the morality.  I do see a lot of
finger pointing.

>         That's why it's up to US to ensure our leadership will
> recognize and enforce our border/sovereignty laws. The overwhelming
> majority of legislators in DC believe deep down that Americans are
> truly stupid and have no will to stand up to a threat.

Oh.  You mean our politicians.

>>What people see is their own pocket, and their own bank account. As
>>long as those are going up, nothing else matters.
>
>         I think you've over-simplified things, just a touch,
> Stephen..............that's just me, though.

I don't think I have over simplified at all.

>>That's what this country is all about. Make money. As much as
>>possible. Today.
>
>         Is that why you attend Mass every Sunday, Stephen, so you
> can genuflect before Bill Gates and maybe have him light your
> stogie? It's NOT that way for me. I doubt it's that way for Jose
> Rojas and Steve Lieb.........
>I also find it difficult to believe that's why Michael Spearing
>shows up at the Synagog once a week.......

You know what?  Attending mass, services, synagogue.  It's all well
and good, but it pales in comparison to the value of what we do the
other 167 hours during the week.

>         As a kid, I remember when companies prided themselves on
> their products' longevity. Those days are gone. Now, it's make it
> really fast and really cheap so it'll wear out/fall apart faster
> and we can sell more!

Mortgage the future for the present.  That is indeed the philosophy.

>>And I don't believe the herein described atrocities and wastes are
>>unique to aliens - legal or illegal. Rather I think they are
>>indigenous to all low socio-economic environments in this country.
>>Poverty fosters anger, resentments, crime and rebellion- across the board.
>
>         That's totally RIDICULOUS!!! My mother grew up in poverty
> in the 1920s. Back then, there were no child labor laws. My mom,
> her sister and brother all took after school jobs to supplement the
> family income by age 8. Nobody dared commit a crime in my
> grandfather's house!!! Back then, people took real pride in a job
> well-done and they left work day after day, feeling exhausted from
> a hard day's activities, but being proud of what they all could
> contribute to the family!

That's good, but it still doesn't change a thing.  Poverty is bad,
and fosters grave misbehaviors - across all cultural lines.  does
everyone commit crimes or turn out bad?  of course not.  Then again,
neither do all illegals.

>>It knows no boundaries of color, race, nationality, citizenship.
>>Poverty usually expresses itself through desperation. This article
>>clearly demonstrates existing correlation, but not causation as it
>>tries to imply.
>
>         That's complete rubbish! My grandparents didn't feel
> desperation! They were thrilled to be able to be self-sufficient
> and that's how I was raised, too. Nowadays, you're looked upon as
> some sort of freak sideshow if you desire to fend for yourself.
> This is a societal problem and the opportunistic politicians, being
> the weasels that they are, have dangled the bait before
> us.........buying our votes with promises of freebies, using the
> money they stole from us through taxation. This is exactly why I
> turn purple with absolute rage when I hear the Hilldebeast and
> "Filthy Harry" Reid say that the government must provide health
> insurance for "the children."

Rubbish?  So, then, only the Mexican poor are desperate?  Only the
Mexican poor turn to crime?  etc etc?

Come on, John.  You know better than that. And darned if the word
"taxation" didn't make it into this.  It always does.

Same old song "War and a tax cut, 2 bits."

Poverty is horrendous.  It is ravenous.  It knows no boundaries of
race, culture, religion, nationality, etc.  I don't have to go 15
miles to find any group you want of impoverished.  Name it.  And in
every one of those neighborhoods, gangs, crime, etc all rise, because
many - not all - see it as the only way out.  It has nothing to do
with politicians, taxes, the cost of tea in China.  It is
poverty.  And it stinks.

People in that desperation struggle, claw to get out.  Some go about
it better than others.  Some make it.  Most don't.  Most are born,
live, and die in the same ghetto - regardless of color etc.

A societal problem?  BFD.  And yes, many politicians are
opportunistic.  They're criminals.

Actually, I believe it is we who are opportunistic.  We take a look
around ourselves and see the desperation, and then we politicize
it.  That gives us an out.  Now we can blame someone bigger than
ourselves, and we can point that finger - all 167 hours per week -
while during that one hour, the Deacon reads: "For the poor.  Let us
pray to the Lord."  And we respond "Lord, hear our prayer."  Oh, and
we are so sincere.  And then we jump in our car, point our finger at
someone else, and blame taxes, politicians, liberals, Mexicans, whomever else.

Your grandparents made it.  Good.  Millions didn't.

And every group, Mexican, black, white, orange, green, whatever, all
exhibit the same bad behavior at school, in their neighborhoods,
every where.  Some don't.  Many do.  And our tax dollars will be
misappropriated just as the original article reads.  But that author
singles out Mexicans - because it's the great political cause du
jour.  But it is not unique to Mexicans, just convenient.

I don't have a cure.  I wish I did.