Mistreating Our Fighting Forces..........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Oct 23 16:51:44 MDT 2007

October 23, 2007

How America Treats
its its Military -

by Charles Colson

<http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ChuckColson>
[]

One of the really formative experiences in my
life was serving as an officer in the Marine
Corps. I thought military service was an
honorable profession, so much so that I urged my
sons to consider military service­even though that was during the Vietnam War.

But after what I have been watching the past few
months, I wonder if I would urge my grandsons to serve today.
[]

[]

A resident asks U.S. Army Platoon leader
Lieutenant Charles Staab (L) with Alpha Company,
1st Battalion 30th Infantry Regiment, for
medicine for their sick children during a patrol
in the Sunni neighbourhood of Arab Jabour in
south Baghdad October 21, 2007, near the Sunni Triangle.

One of the most disillusioning moments for me was
when the New York Times ran that ad­at a
discount, by the way­for MoveOn.org calling
General Petraeus “General Betray Us.” This
honorable West Point graduate with a
distinguished military career: We do this to him?
Unbelievably, a resolution in the Senate to
disavow the MoveOn.org ad war was opposed by all
the leading Democratic presidential candidates.

Equally bad is what the Senate did to General
Peter Pace. The majority leader­who, by the way,
ran an elevator in the Capitol during the Vietnam
War­accused this most decorated marine officer,
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, of being
incompetent. Senate leaders attacked Pace because
he had the audacity to express his view that both
adultery and homosexual behavior are morally wrong.

The mainstream press has also done its share of
harm to our service members. As General Ricardo
Sanchez said - described in a Wall Street Journal
op-ed piece last Thursday - “What is clear to me
is that you [referring to the media] are
perpetrating the corrosive partisan politics that
is destroying our country and killing our service
members who are at war.” He lashed out at
Congress for rank partisanship, undermining the confidence of the troops.

The general also faulted the Bush administration
for its handling of the war­which, by the way,
was the only thing the New York Times reported from his speech.

This is what we have come to in America:
slandering our generals and undermining­even endangering­our troops.

Our cultural and political leaders have
forgotten, if they ever knew, that the
willingness to sacrifice on behalf of others is
why serving in the military is considered such a
high calling­and a part of what makes just wars
just. Thomas Aquinas in his classic Summa
Theologica puts his discussion of just war in the
chapter on charity­the love of God and neighbor.

And reformer John Calvin called the soldier an
“agent of God’s love” because “restraining evil
out of love for neighbor is an imitation of God’s
restraining evil out of love for His creatures.”

We are blessed that so many fine men and women
are willing to wield the sword on our behalf in
this country. But are we, in turn, willing to
respect and honor those sacrificing for us? And
if not, can we blame them if one day they decide to lay down their arms?

What kind of a world would this be if that
happened? We would have a world where evil
reigned unchecked by justice, and where the
strong would be free to prey on the weak.

The problem is not with our service members who
are serving us nobly and ably in Iraq; it is the
political and cultural leaders who are dishonoring them.

  If most Americans share their attitude, then I
say bring the troops home. Why should they risk
their lives for an ungrateful nation?

If we want them to continue to lay down their
lives to protect us, then I say it is time for
the politicians and the media to get a hold of
themselves and give our troops the respect,
honor, and support that they deserve.

Chuck Colson is the Chairman and Founder of
<http://www.townhall.com/Partner.aspx?u=28>BreakPoint
and of Prison Fellowship Ministries. You can sign
up for a free subscription of WorldView magazine
<http://www.breakpoint.org/contentindex.asp?ID=146>here.