State of Emergency: Can America Be Saved?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Oct 23 17:01:35 MDT 2007

State of Emergency:
The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America
By Patrick J. Buchanan
Thomas Dunne Books, 2006
107 pp.; $24.95 (soft cover)

  <http://www.amren.com/ar/2006/10/index.html#article1>Can America Be Saved?

A Review by Jared Taylor, American Renaissance, October 2006

This marvelous book appears at exactly the right
moment: just as Congress is returning from
vacation to resume debate on comprehensive
immigration control. Patrick Buchanan, who has
already written nearly a whole shelf of
conservative classics, is topping the best-seller
lists with one of the most eloquent and
influential calls for immigration control we are
likely to see for many years. One of the rare
public intellectuals who can look past economic
arguments to the ties of blood and heritage that
make a nation out of a rabble, Mr. Buchanan knows
that the demographic transformation we are
witnessing threatens the very survival of the
country he loves. This book is a cry from the
heart of a deeply committed American patriot.

Mr. Buchanan covers just about everything that
has gone wrong: government failure to protect our
borders or punish companies that hire illegals,
the crushing burden of medicine and education for
immigrants, the abandonment by elites of the
concept of nation, the indifference and even
hatred of many newcomers for America, the lust
for reconquista, and the loss of will that means
we must adapt to immigrants rather than the
reverse. But most remarkably, Mr. Buchanan does not shy away from race.

He takes deliberate aim at people like Ben
Wattenberg who tell us that anyone can be an
American because we are a “creedal” or
“proposition” nation. “Language, faith, culture,
and history­and, yes, birth, blood, and
soil­produce a people, not an ideology,” he
writes. Elsewhere, he scoffs at the diversity we
are supposed to be celebrating: “Nowhere on this
earth can one find a multicultural, multiethnic,
multilingual nation that is not at risk.”

Mr. Buchanan even quotes approvingly the late Sam
Francis’s words at the 1994 AR conference: “The
civilization that we as whites created in Europe
and America could not have developed apart from
the genetic endowments of the creating people,
nor is there any reason to believe that the
civilization can be successfully transmitted to a
different people.” He points out that if Francis
had said this about the Chinese, for example, no
one would have been shocked, but to speak of the
genetic endowments of Europeans is a hanging
offense: Francis lost his job at the Washington Times.

Mr. Buchanan even puts in a good word for the
people who passed the 1924 “national origins”
restrictions on immigration: “We may call them
bigoted, but they preserved the America we are
losing.” Although at the time he supported the
1965 Celler-Hart bill that led to the current
Third-World invasion, Mr. Buchanan now
understands why Senator Sam Ervin of North
Carolina opposed it. “What is wrong with the
national origins of the American people?” the
senator asked. “What is wrong with maintaining
them? What is wrong with preferring as immigrants one’s own kinsmen?”

This book is undoubtedly the strongest defense of
an essentially European America now available from a mainstream publisher.

Much of the data and most of the arguments in
this book will be known to readers of AR, but
State of Emergency ventures into less well known
territory as well. In a brief account of the
history of US immigration policy, Mr. Buchanan
points out that the Statue of Liberty was first
publicly linked to immigration in a speech by
Franklin Roosevelt in 1936­on the 50th
anniversary of its dedication. Ironically, this
was at a time when the US was receiving hardly
any immigrants. As Mr. Buchanan explains, people
who would have us believe we are a “creedal”
nation are always trying to hijack Ameri-ca’s
past; they tell us the statue always meant immigration.

Mr. Buchanan also gives us a review of our stormy
relations with Mexico, laying to rest the idea
that Mexico has never willingly given up
territory. He points out the Mexicans once
offered to sell us Baja California for $10
million but Congress rejected the offer.

Mr. Buchanan has a knack for marshalling familiar
numbers in interesting ways. He points out, for
example, that the figure of 36 million for
immigrants and their children living in the
United States is almost as large as the entire
number of immigrants who came between 1607 and
the Kennedy election of 1960. And today’s
newcomers, he adds, are people who “have never
been assimilated fully into any Western country.”

Likewise, if we accept the figure of 12 to 20
million illegals in our country, this is more
than all the German and Italians who ever came
here­and they were the most numerous immigrant
peoples until everything changed in 1965.

In another interesting juxtaposition of figures,
he notes that during the 1990s, the Hispanic
population of LA County increased 27 percent­and
the poverty rate increased 28 percent. During the
same period the white population fell by 18 percent.

We are told over and over that illegals are
essential to our economy, but Mr. Buchanan points
out that they do not dominate a single
profession. Illegals are most numerous as
drywall/ceiling installers (27 percent) and
landscape workers (26 percent), and their share
of every other trade is even less.

State of Emergency includes a good account of
deliberate Mexican efforts to fill our country
with Mexicans and keep them loyal to the
motherland. One of the most blatant operators has
been Juan Hernandez, a former University of Texas
professor whom Vicente Fox picked to run his
Presidential Council for Mexicans Abroad. Mr.
Hernandez, a dual citizen but loyal Mexican, told
ABC’s Nightline how Mexican-Americans must think:
“I want the third generation, the seventh
generation, I want them all to think ‘Mexico first.’ “

How did we sink so low? Mr. Buchanan writes that
“there has arisen among our intellectual and
cultural elites a contempt for the West,” and
that our rulers worship at the “Church of GDP,”
which believes in nothing but economic growth.
Business wants an endless stream of cheap labor,
and nanny-state bureaucrats want endless queues
of clients for their handout programs.

Some kinds of support for immigration come close
to certifiable insanity. As Mr. Buchanan
explains, Republicans can never hope to win much
Hispanic support because “there is an
irreconcilable conflict between being a
conservative party and being a party of
Hispanics.” George W. Bush’s Mexico-boosting
means that “today’s champion of open borders is a
president whose own party is mortally imperiled
by open borders.” Mr. Buchanan notes that in
healthier times, our president’s failure to guard
the border would have brought articles of impeachment.

There is considerable space in State of Emergency
devoted to Europe, which is facing exactly the
same crisis with exactly the same cowardice and
willful blindness. Mr. Buchan-an mentions an
event in France that took place shortly after the
attacks of Sept. 11, and went largely unrecorded
in the United States. On Oct. 6, 2001, a
much-heralded match took place between the French
and Algerian national soccer teams­the first
since Algeria won independence from France in
1962. Arranged as a sign of friendship and
reconciliation, the game was held in the French
national stadium, Stade de France, just outside
Paris. Prime Minister Lionel Jospin was in the
presidential box, along with half a dozen other ministers.

Things got off to a bad start when the
French-Algerians in the stands­almost all of them
French citizens­set up a terrible din of boos and
whistles at the first note of “La Marseillaise.”
The ministers could hardly hear their national
anthem, but bellowed grimly through to the end.
Every time a French player touched the ball he
was met with jeers. With the French in the lead,
four to one, the Algerians could stand it no
longer. A woman, draped in the Algerian flag,
jumped out of the stands and ran across the
field. A stampede of spectators followed her and
stopped the game. The crowd shouted “Algeria,
Algeria!” and “We won!” as it began to pelt the
presidential box with water bottles and cell
phone batteries. Two lady ministers were hit.
Minister for Youth and Sport Marie-George Buffet
took a water bottle on the nose, and another had
her fur coat ripped by a missile. The two sought
safety in the ladies’ restroom. Security
guards­beefed up from the usual 800 for such
events to 1,200 on this occasion­managed to
evacuate the stadium without much violence but
home-bound Algerians sacked a commuter train and
mugged passengers. As Mr. Buchanan notes, the
weeks of arson and mayhem France went through in
October and November of last year were hardly without warning.

The French have been as bumbling and indecisive
in the face of mortal threat as the Americans­and
the British and Germans and Italians and
Australians. Whatever the combination of
reasons­and I believe no one has adequately
explained their psychological capitulation­elites
have imposed the Third-World on Western societies
against the express wishes of their inhabitants
and voters. As Mr. Buchanan points out, countries
like the United States and Australia can no
longer be said to be democracies, and every white
government has failed the test Enoch Powell set
in 1968: “The supreme function of statesmanship
is to provide against preventable evils. .&nbs;.
. [T]he discussion of future grave but, with
effort now, avoidable evils is the most unpopular
and at the same time the most necessary occupation for the politician.”

The result is that, in Mr. Buchanan’s words:

“We are conducting an experiment rooted neither
in common sense nor the American experience, but
in an ideology that declares, against all
historical evidence, that people of every
country, creed, culture, or civilization are
equally and easily assimilable into America, and
all have an equal right to come here.”

Mr. Buchanan proposes a sound list of remedies.
He would build a 2,000-mile barrier along the
entire southern border. He says it should be a
15-foot-high double wall with a road in between
for the Border Patrol. It would cost about $8
billion but could be paid for if we charged $2.00
per person to enter the country legally.

Mr. Buchanan recognizes it would be a big job to
cart off all the illegals, but believes they will
go voluntarily if employers are strictly punished
for hiring them, welfare and education benefits
are cut off, and local police get the power to arrest on immigration charges.

Mr. Buchanan would end the “diversity lottery,”
abolish birth-right citizenship, and make
illegals ineligible for Social Security or the
Earned Income Tax Credit. He would also end
federal subsidies for cities that declared
themselves “sanctuaries” for illegals, and would
stop issuing visas to countries that refuse to
take back unwanted citizens. If we do this, he
writes, “in five to ten years our crisis will be
at an end. But if we don’t do this, the crisis will end America.”

These measures would, indeed, be a marvelous
beginning, and the success of Mr. Buchanan’s book
suggests such a program would have broad support.
Even if only half his program were enacted, it
would be a great achievement. In the long term,
of course, even if all immigration, legal and
illegal, were halted tomorrow, differential
birthrates would continue to eat away at the
white majority, but our decline would slow from a
gallop to a walk. Whites might even have babies
again if they lived in a society they knew was
dedicated to preserving European civilization and the people who created it.

The day may yet come when our people can say,
along with Pat Buchanan, “America belongs to us, not the world.”

<http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2007/10/can_america_be.php#>Original
article

(Posted on October 19, 2007)