Owlgore Wants To Be *YOUR* President!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Oct 23 23:25:39 MDT 2007

Free Congress Foundation Commentary:

Presidential Candidates­A Gore Surprise?
By Paul M. Weyrich
October 23, 2007

Lots of folks are commenting on the Presidential
candidates these days. I figured it was my turn.
Why not? I have seen the candidates up close as
much as any of those who have shot from the hip.
Since I have arthritis in my hips, I figure my
comments will be even more caustic than those of former Speaker Newt Gingrich.

First, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY). She
is the front runner, which is dangerous. Do you
remember when William J. (Bill) Clinton, with
Hillary advising him, would come out on top and
then blow it? It was only when Clinton was the
underdog that things went well. This is a
dangerous time for Hillary because things are going too well.

Second, former Vice President Albert A. (Al)
Gore, Jr. I mention him because he recently won
the Nobel Peace Prize. He is not a candidate but
until he publicly states that he would not accept
a draft his name will continue to float. There
are people who want to draft Gore, which could be Hillary’s worst nightmare.

Third, Senator Barack H. Obama (D-IL). He is
young and exciting. Unfortunately, his
youthfulness translates to inexperience. Is it too early for him?

Fourth, Former Senator John R. Edwards (D-NC).
Why he has remained competitive in Iowa but
nowhere else remains a mystery. Maybe Iowans envy
$400 haircuts on the prairie.

Fifth, Governor Bill Richardson (D-NM). He is the
Hispanic candidate, which is why he remains in
contention, more likely for Vice President than for President.

Sixth, Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-DE). Why
he remains a candidate is unclear. Many think he
would like to be Secretary of State in Hillary’s Administration.

Now for the Republicans:

First, Rudolph W. (Rudy) Giuliani, the “Nation’s
Mayor.” If Republicans were electing a national
mayor Giuliani would be a shoo-in. Yes, he is
leading nationally but he is behind in the first four primaries.

Second, Fred D. Thompson.  Never in modern
politics has there been a greater buildup and
never has there been a greater letdown. Thompson
has been everyone’s hope in the lead up to his
campaign but now everyone’s fear as he has proved to be less than expected.

Third, former Governor Mitt Romney. If he had not
flip-flopped and were not a Mormon he would be
the ideal candidate. He yet may be. He looks and
sounds like a President. As time continues folks
seem to be forgetting about his flip-flopping but
his religion is alive and well in the south.
There is an effort to gather Evangelical leaders
with Romney. We will see if that helps with folks
who insist that Mormonism is a cult.

Fourth, Senator John S. McCain, III (D-AZ). He
was the front runner but did himself in.
Supposedly his campaign is coming back, which I
doubt. McCain-Feingold won’t be forgiven by
conservatives. His campaign is teetering. His
chances are slim-to-none even if he wins New Hampshire.

Fifth, former Governor Mike Huckabee. He is a
brilliant orator who has parlayed a second-place
finish in the Ames Iowa Straw Poll into near
first-tier status. He would be doing better if he
did not have a penchant for saying the wrong
things, thus making enemies of potential friends.

There remain two others, further on the sidelines.

Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO). I hate to say
this but he really doesn't belong on that debate
stage. He speaks well and takes positions which
Republicans should be taking. His former
chairmanship of the Armed Services Committee
gives him a national platform but not a national
organization or the ability to raise money. He is fading from the scene.

Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX). It is too bad some
of the ideas he advocates are strange because
many of the things he says makes sense. Because
he is a Libertarian he has enough money to stay
around for a time. His overall showing is the
major surprise of the political season.

The upshot is that none of the GOP candidates,
except perhaps Romney, is really exciting to at
least a portion of the grassroots. At this stage,
that is not good news for a party which will have trouble winning anyway.

Among the Democratic candidates, the fact that
many people, including former President Jimmy
Carter, are urging Gore to run is also an
indication that not all is sanguine on the
Democratic side. Should Gore succumb to a draft
it would be bad news for the Republicans. They
might defeat Clinton because she is such a
polarizing figure. Gore, who in 2000 won the most
number of popular votes by one half million,
would be very difficult to defeat. Many believe
he was cheated out of his last race. That would
give him an emotional edge this time. We shall see.

Paul M. Weyrich is Chairman and CEO of the Free Congress Foundation