From The Law Professor At Pepperdine..........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Oct 24 17:58:37 MDT 2007

[From the transcripts for "Sunday Morning With Charles Osgood":]

CHARLES OSGOOD, host: We all have our own
thoughts about the holidays. Here's Ben Stein with his.

BEN STEIN: Here at this happy time of year, a few
confessions from my beating heart. I have no
freaking clue who Nick and Jessica are. (Footage
of People magazine; Us magazine)

STEIN:  I see them on the cover of People and Us
constantly when I'm buying my dog biscuits. I
still don't know. I often ask the checkers at the
grocery stores who they are. They don't know who
Nick and Jessica are, either. Who are they? Will
it change my life if I know who they are and why
they've broken up? Why are they so darned
important? (Footage of People magazine)

STEIN: I don't know who Lindsay Lohan is either,
and I don't care at all about Tom Cruise's baby.
(Vintage footage of congressional hearing)

STEIN: Am I going to be called before a Senate
committee and asked if I'm a subversive? Maybe.
But I just have no clue who Nick and Jessica are.
Is this what it means to be no longer young? Hm, not so bad.
Next confession: I am a Jew and every single one
of my ancestors was Jewish, and it does not
bother me even a little bit when people call
those beautifully lit-up, bejeweled trees
Christmas trees. (Footage of Christmas trees)

STEIN: I don't feel threatened. I don't feel
discriminated against. That's what they are ­
Christmas trees. It doesn't bother me a bit when
people say 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think
they're slighting me or getting ready to put me
in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. I shows
that we're all brothers and sisters celebrating
this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me one
bit that there's a manger scene on display at a
key intersection at my beach house in Malibu.
(Footage of manger scene; menorah)

STEIN: If people want a creche, fine. The menorah
a few hundred yards away is fine, too. I do not
like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I
don't think Christians like getting pushed around
for being Christians. I think people who believe
in God are sick and tired of getting pushed
around, period. I have no idea where the concept
came from that America is an explicitly atheist
country. I can't find it in the Constitution and
I don't like it being shoved down my throat. Or
maybe I can put it another way. Where did the
idea come from that we should worship Nick and
Jessica and aren't allowed to worship God as we
understand him? I guess that's a sign that I'm
getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who
are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from
and where the America we used to know went to.

<end>