Compelling Stuff!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Oct 30 22:16:55 MDT 2007

         Dedicated to those who are not yet living in freedom, who
suffer repression, regime-made famine, torture, gulags, and fear for
their lives and those of their loved ones; and thanks to the
internet, have reached this home page. See
<http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/DFH.HTM>The Declaration of Freedom
of Humanity

Freedom,
Democracy, Peace;
Power,
Democide, and War

DEMOCRATIC PEACE
BLOG

<http://freedomspeace.blogspot.com/>
[]

Click the above image for Rummel's Democratic Peace blog to see
current events in the glare of the struggle between freedom and
power--between the democratic peace and a power that corrupts and
kills. Includes 20 headlines selected continuously by keywords
related to this website. Blogs posted daily, except for Sunday.

<http://freedomspeace.blogspot.com>
Democratic Peace

For the archive of all the previous week's blogs, arranged topically,
click <http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/Z.BLOG.ARCHIVE.HTM>here

OCCASIONAL COMMENTARY ARCHIVE

<http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COMMENTARY.HTM>
COMMENTATOR

For an archive of website related commentary, click the above image.
Current commentary is now posted on the above blog
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
----Lord Acton

Power kills; absolute power kills absolutely.
----This Web Site

Introduction

It is true that democratic freedom is an engine of national and
individual wealth and prosperity. Hardly known, however, is that
freedom also saves millions of lives from famine, disease, war,
collective violence, and democide (genocide and mass murder). That
is, the more freedom, the greater the human security and the less the
violence. Conversely, the more power governments have, the more human
insecurity and violence. In short: to our realization that power
impoverishes we must also add that power kills.

Through theoretical analysis, historical case studies, empirical
data, and quantitative analyses, this web site shows that:

    * Freedom is a basic human right recognized by the United Nations
and international treaties, and is the heart of social justice.
    * Freedom is an engine of economic and human development, and
scientific and technological advancement.
    * Freedom ameliorates the problem of mass poverty.
    * Free people do not suffer from and never have had famines, and
by theory, should not. Freedom is therefore a solution to hunger and famine.
    * Free people have the least internal violence, turmoil, and
political instability.
    * Free people have virtually no government genocide and mass
murder, and for good theoretical reasons. Freedom is therefore a
solution to genocide and mass murder; the only practical means of
making sure that "Never again!"
    * Free people do not make war on each other, and the greater the
freedom within two nations, the less violence between them.
    * Freedom is a method of nonviolence--the most peaceful nations
are those whose people are free.

The purpose of this web site, then, is to make as widely available as
possible the theories, work, results, and data that empirically and
historically, quantitatively and qualitatively, support these
conclusions about freedom. This is to invite their use, replication,
and critical evaluation, and thereby to advance our knowledge of and
confidence in freedom--in liberal democracy. It is to foster freedom.

      Pray tell, my brother,
      Why do dictators kill
          and make war?
      Is it for glory; for things,
          for beliefs, for hatred,
          for power?
      Yes, but more,
          because they can.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Among all the democide estimates appearing on this
website, some have been revised upward. I have changed that for Mao's
famine, 1958-1962, from zero to 38,000,000. And thus I have had to
change the overall democide for the PRC (1928-1987) from 38,702,000
to 76,702,000. Details
<http://freedomspeace.blogspot.com/2005/11/reevaluating-chinas-democide-to-be.html>here.

I have changed my estimate for colonial democide from 870,000 to an
additional 50,000,000. Details
<http://freedomspeace.blogspot.com/2005/12/reevaluating-colonial-democide.html>here.

Thus, the new world total: old total 1900-1999 = 174,000,000. New
World total = 174,000,000 + 38,000,000 (new for China) + 50,000,000
(new for Colonies) = 262,000,000.

Just to give perspective on this incredible murder by government, if
all these bodies were laid head to toe, with the average height being
5', then they would circle the earth ten times. Also, this democide
murdered 6 times more people than died in combat in all the foreign
and internal wars of the century. Finally, given popular estimates of
the dead in a major nuclear war, this total democide is as though
such a war did occur, but with its dead spread over a century.