Self-Reliance

JD northgate76 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 21:20:20 MDT 2007

Another Amstrad here. Mine was a PC1640 with an 8086 processor and 640K of
RAM.  They put the power supply in the monitor to shrink the case and
eliminate the fan, and it had EGA capabilities that could be set by a series
of DIP switches on the back.  Of course, you had to keep the original black
and white TTL monitor attached to provide power even though it had a blank
screen with an EGA monitor attached.  So I had a dual-screen system way back
in 1985.  It looked stupid, but an EGA card cost about $200 so it was worth
it.  There was no room in the case for a hard drive, so I installed a
controller ($85) in one of the two open slots, screwed a 20 meg HD (used,
$150) to the wall behind it and cut a slot for the cable in the plastic
case.  Primitive as it was, I wrote lots of briefs and pleadings on that
thing ($7 word processing program from Target) and used it for years before
replacing it with a screamin' 386SX.