Little Brother Has The Right Idea...............

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Dec 2 00:34:26 MST 2008

Inside Cover

<http://www.newsmax.com/xml/insidecover.xml>RSS
[]
 <http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/archive/>ARCHIVE
Print Page  |  <http://www.newsmax.com/forward_page/>Forward
Page  |  <http://www.newsmax.com/contact/editorial/>E-mail Us

Jeb Bush to GOP: Don't Become 'Democrat-Lite'

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:20 PM

By: David A. Patten Article Font Size
[]

[]

[]

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush tells Newsmax that the GOP must broaden its
appeal to avoid becoming “the old white-guy party,” and recommends that
Republicans create a “shadow government” to engage Democrats on important
issues as the incoming Obama administration seeks to enact its agenda.

In a wide-ranging interview with Newsmax, the popular former governor and
younger brother of President George W. Bush said the 2008 election was
neither “transformational” nor a landslide. For example, he noted that
Barack Obama's significant fundraising advantage over John McCain played a
key role in Democratic success this year.

[<http://video.newsmax.com/?assetId=V3506395>To see full video, go here now]

Bush urged Republicans not to abandon their core conservative principles in
favor of a "Democratic-lite" agenda. Still, the GOP does need to do some
real soul-searching, he said.

“If you take the [last] two election cycles, there’s real cause for
concern, no question about it,” he said.

There is good news for Republicans, Bush said: The United States remains
“basically a center-right country.” He cited President-elect Barack Obama’s
stance on taxes as an example.

“Who would have thought the so-called liberal candidate would be the one
advocating tax cuts, and attacking the Republican candidate for tax hikes ­
which wasn’t true, but was effective when you consider he was outspending
Sen. McCain by five to one.”

Bush, considered one of the most successful governors in modern Florida
history, gives Democrats kudos for their effectiveness in registering
voters. That should be a lesson to the GOP, he said.

pontificate,” said Bush, who frequently is mentioned as a top-tier GOP
presidential prospect.

“You’ve got to do the hard work. That means grass-roots organization. It
means listening to the base of the party. It means voter registration. It
means turn-out operations. It means recruiting candidates that look like
the population we’re trying to attract to our cause. Those things seem to
have waned in the last couple years.”

Perhaps most importantly, Bush said, the party must confront the nation’s
changing demographics.

“We can’t ignore large segments of our population and expect to win,” Bush
said. “We can’t be the ‘old white-guy’ party. It’s just not going to work,
the demographics go against us in that regard.

“Among Hispanic voters, I think we need to change the tone of the
conversation as it relates to immigration. In Florida, we’ve not
participated much in the chest pounding and the yelling and the screaming.
I mean, it just drives me nuts when there are substantive policy
differences that we can show mutual respect on, but the tone needs to
change. And I think we need to recruit more candidates who share our values
in the Hispanic community. In Florida we’ve done that.”

Indeed, Bush, who is fluent in Spanish and married to a Mexican-American,
carried over 56 percent of the Florida’s non-Cuban Hispanic vote when he
won re-election to the Florida statehouse in 2002. His popularity among
GOP-leaning Cuban-Americans was even higher.

Bush’s other advice on where the GOP should go from here:

The party should establish a loyal opposition and “organize ourselves in
the form of a shadow government” that would address key issues, providing
the public with “a loftier debate about policy” rather than mere partisanship.

On the state and local level, Bush says the GOP should demonstrate “a
passion for reform.”

The party must hold fast to its convictions. “We can’t be Democrat-lite. We
can’t just ‘get along,’” he told Newsmax. “We have to actually be proposing
solutions to what appear to be intractable problems as it relates to
education, healthcare, infrastructure. Across the board there are ways that
we can show that we are truly on the side of the people that are concerned
about the future of the country, without abandoning our principles.”

Bush cited Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal as “a great example of a governor
who is leading by example, and has a passion for reform. That should be the
model across the country.”

Bush also offered Obama advice on one of his favorite issues, education:
“Obama should defy his core constituency. He should take on the teachers’
union and be on the side of disadvantaged families who send their kids to
schools that almost assure that their children will not have the same
opportunities that were afforded them. That is an un-American situation,
and there’s much that can be done to narrow the achievement gap.

“Part of it means we may need to restructure how we educate kids. We need
to use technology. We need to pay for performance for teachers. We need to
eliminate tenure. We need to focus early on the fact that we have these
huge achievement gaps. We need much more accountability, we need more
school choice.

“And if Senator Obama led that charge, there would be truly a
transformation in education, and I for one would be a strong supporter in
that regard,” Bush said.

On the economy, Bush said Obama should reconsider his plans to raise taxes.

“His advisers can’t be telling him it’s a great idea to raise taxes, it’s a
great idea to raise the capital gains tax, it’s a great idea to raise
marginal rates. They can’t be telling him that in this very, very perilous
economic time that we’re in,” Bush said.

On a personal note, Bush told Newsmax that he wouldn’t be surprised if his
father, former President H.W. Bush, jumps out of a plane when he turns 85
in June.

“He likes going fast in boats and he likes jumping out of planes,” he said
of his father. “I can’t explain it, but there’s nothing I can do about it!”

Bush added, “Whenever I get a chance, I always ask him about his life,
because it’s just been a spectacular life. If I could be half the man my
dad has been, I would consider myself having a really privileged life.”

[<http://video.newsmax.com/?assetId=V3506395>To see full video, go here now]

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.