Little Brother Has The Right Idea...............

Ernie Lane ernielane at VERIZON.NET
Tue Dec 2 17:18:01 MST 2008

John A. Quayle wrote:

>   *Inside Cover*
>
> RSS <http://www.newsmax.com/xml/insidecover.xml> [] ARCHIVE
> <http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/archive/>
> Print Page  |  Forward Page <http://www.newsmax.com/forward_page/>  |
> E-mail Us <http://www.newsmax.com/contact/editorial/>
>

>     *Jeb Bush to GOP: Don't Become 'Democrat-Lite'
>
>     *
>
> Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:20 PM
>
> *By:* David A. Patten Article Font Size [] []
>
> []
>
> Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush tells Newsmax that the GOP must broaden its
> appeal to avoid becoming “the old white-guy party,” and recommends that
> Republicans create a “shadow government” to engage Democrats on
> important issues as the incoming Obama administration seeks to enact its
> agenda.
>
> In a wide-ranging interview with Newsmax, the popular former governor
> and younger brother of President George W. Bush said the 2008 election
> was neither “transformational” nor a landslide. For example, he noted
> that Barack Obama's significant fundraising advantage over John McCain
> played a key role in Democratic success this year.
>
> *[To see full video, go here now
> <http://video.newsmax.com/?assetId=V3506395>]*
>
> Bush urged Republicans not to abandon their core conservative principles
> in favor of a "Democratic-lite" agenda. Still, the GOP does need to do
> some real soul-searching, he said.
>
> “If you take the [last] two election cycles, there’s real cause for
> concern, no question about it,” he said.
>
> There is good news for Republicans, Bush said: The United States remains
> “basically a center-right country.” He cited President-elect Barack
> Obama’s stance on taxes as an example.
>
> “Who would have thought the so-called liberal candidate would be the one
> advocating tax cuts, and attacking the Republican candidate for tax
> hikes ­ which wasn’t true, but was effective when you consider he was
> outspending Sen. McCain by five to one.”
>
> Bush, considered one of the most successful governors in modern Florida
> history, gives Democrats kudos for their effectiveness in registering
> voters. That should be a lesson to the GOP, he said.

> pontificate,” said Bush, who frequently is mentioned as a top-tier GOP
> presidential prospect.
>
> “You’ve got to do the hard work. That means grass-roots organization. It
> means listening to the base of the party. It means voter registration.
> It means turn-out operations. It means recruiting candidates that look
> like the population we’re trying to attract to our cause. Those things
> seem to have waned in the last couple years.”
>
> Perhaps most importantly, Bush said, the party must confront the
> nation’s changing demographics.
>
> “We can’t ignore large segments of our population and expect to win,”
> Bush said. “We can’t be the ‘old white-guy’ party. It’s just not going
> to work, the demographics go against us in that regard.
>
> “Among Hispanic voters, I think we need to change the tone of the
> [...]

I think what the Republican Party needs to do is return to its
conservative roots, promote conservative policies and convince the
voters that these policies serve the interests of America as a whole.
It should not pander to any group to the detriment of others or to the
detriment of the country.  Group members -- like Hispanics -- are not
expected to vote against their interests, but the Republican Party needs
to convince them that the interests of the country are their interests.