Words, Just Words! by Col Bob Pappas, USMC, Ret

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Dec 6 17:12:17 MST 2008

<mailto:pappas at gulf1.com>by Colonel Bob Pappas, USMC, Retired

If you would like to listen to an audio reading of this column
<file://mms://205.178.152.121/888964/BP.mp3>click here.

Words, Just Words!
by Colonel Bob Pappas, USMC, Retired.

President Bush is alleged to have said of the Constitution, "It's just a
Goddamned piece of paper." There are many allegations about the President,
most are bogus and this one probably is too. David Horowitz tells us that
the Constitution is about the will of the people, and 65 (sic) million have
spoken regarding the election of Barack Obama, and that challenges to his
eligibility based on the Constitutional question of whether or not he is a
"natural born citizen" are irrelevant.  He asserted that since the majority
voted for him and to deny that victory would disenfranchise the majority
(despite the fact that Courts override the will of the majority with
regularity).

Horowitz is not alone in his view, and they are wrong! If Obama is proven
to be not eligible under the "natural born citizen" provision of Article
II, they voted wrong and that is too bad!  If nothing else, the Court has
the responsibility to define "natural born" and at least bring an end that
part of the discussion.

If the media had done it's so called, "job" correctly the first time, there
wouldn't be this series of nagging questions. Some assume that bureaucrats
are incapable of making mistakes or be complicit in fraud. I do not and
there is abundant evidence to support my opinion. For those who were around
or have studied the matter, recall that President Nixon was not above the
law and resigned.

The media absolutely flunked in its responsibilities because they were too
busy fawning at Obama's feet rather than conducting objective journalistic
investigation. If they had expended a fraction of the effort on Obama that
they did on Palen, it would at least give the impression of objectivity and
impartiality.  I like "Barry," albeit not his politics; but oppose any
violation of the Constitution to accommodate an election victory for him
or
anyone else.

The plain writing of the Constitution is perfectly cogent and clear, and
when circumstances or events make it necessary to change it, there is an
amendment process built into the document. On the other hand, there are
those who believe it is a "living document," that is, the Constitution
should be interpreted by the Courts in the context of contemporary events,
attitudes and mores.  That view avoids the inconvenience of amending the
document and interprets it into achieving a desired end result. Today, some
idiot stated, "the Court reads the polls." Oh! So, now we do Constitutional
law by polls?

A legitimate question then arises, "Why have a Constitution since many
Courts regard it as a 'living document' and arrive at decisions based on
transient politics, the will of the voters or to protect a special interest
minority rather than the Constitution's plain language?" The Constitution
provides the framework for all U.S. Law and to the extent that it is bent,
manipulated, broken or just plain ignored, it fosters an environment of
instability and injustice in the entire legal system. The end result in
such a situation is that legislation could easily become arbitrary,
capricious and tyrannical. If one is more than casually awake, it should be
increasingly evident that the U.S. has embarked on that path.

Despite the alleged pronouncement by President Bush or the aforementioned
commentary by David Horowitz, it is imperative that the Nation adhere to
the Constitution's provisions and procedures. For Justices to go along with
or be party to a perversion of the Constitution would be cataclysmic.

In the event that it is factually established that Obama is not eligible
and the Court does nothing to disqualify him from taking office, 57 million
voters would have been disenfranchised, not to mention those who voted for
him who would have voted otherwise if they had known the facts.

If we, the people allow flagrant disregard of the Constitution to occur, it
will spell the sooner than later demise of the greatest nation in the
history of the world. However, if that is the nation's collective desire,
so be it.

I believe that most Americans want to live free; and to the extent that the
Constitution is perverted, freedom is on the block. Americans should
collectively demand that it be followed, or changed; not bent, broken,
manipulated or ignored.

If Obama is certified by the Courts as eligible to serve, assuming full and
fair consideration of all the facts and issues, we should move on.  If not,
he should go back to Chicago, or to jail, with due regard and regret to the
67 million voters who would have been deceived and defrauded.

Otherwise, the Constitution will be, "words, just words," Bush's alleged
comment would be validated, and those unpatriotic Americans who support
ignoring it would win a pyric victory. Pyric, because we will either have a
Constitution or we don't and it would definitely come back to bite them.

The Preamble to the Constitution states among other things, that its
purpose is to "establish justice
" We'll see how the movie ends.

Semper Fidelis

If you wish to send a comment or ask a question of Bob Pappas please use:
<mailto:pappas at gulf1.com>pappas at gulf1.com

If you wish to write a letter to the Editor please use:
<http://www.gulf1.net/letters/NewLetter.htm>http://www.gulf1.net/letters/NewLetter.htm

If you wish to  read PREVIOUS ARTICLES by Col Pappas, please see:
<http://www.gulf1.com/columns/pappas/pappasframe.htm>http://www.gulf1.com/columns/pappas/pappasframe.htm

This columns is brought to you by "Floors - Warehouse Pricing"   Call
850-505-0202 for details.

  Copyright © December 5st, 2008 by Robert L. Pappas. With proper
attribution, this essay may be quoted and redistributed. It may not be used
in any way, in conjunction with any advertisement without the author's
expressed written permission.