Eat up! Your doctor needs to gas up the car

Jim kd7nnv at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 26 16:55:28 MST 2008

Ernie Lane wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> California doctor finds a new source of fat to make biodiesel out of;
>> fat from the people he did liposuction procedures on.
>>
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473078,00.html
>>
>> Eat up so your  doctor can gas up the suburban.  Better yet, when you
>> go in for liposuction, take the  fat home and gas up your vehicle.
>
> What always gets me is how some people will think this has commercial
> applicability.  Notwithstanding whether this could be of any long-term
> use, can you imagine the infrastructure and logistics involved?  This is
> the kind of thing which is interesting, but useful only in a lab.

 From what I've seen, the biodiesel is a good idea.  It's just that
there's not a continuous supply to run the entire country on.  Once I
saw the dirty jobs program on discovery channel.  The host went to see a
guy who makes the stuff for his own vehicle.  He collects old grease
from restaurants and processes it to make fuel for his nissan diesel
pickup.  He said it costs him about 50 cents a gallon to make the fuel.
  He gets the grease free, but needs to buy methyl alcohol and lye to
separate the oil from the glycerin.  Also there is whatever he uses to
filter out the bits of food before he adds the alcohol and lye.  Also
there is one extra step if animal fat is involved.  There's something
else in it that has to be filtered out.

It's a good idea on a small scale, but I don't see it being practical
for a large scale operation.   A batch of fuel could be ruined if there
is animal fat in the grease but the people processing it don't know
that.  If you know the people who own a couple of restaurants and are
willing to put a little work into it, it's a great idea.  The restaurant
owner get rid of his old grease for free and you get free or almost free
fuel for your vehicle.  On the nissan pickup in the dirty jobs show, the
only modification the guy needed to make to his truck was to replace the
rubber fuel lines with plastic ones.  The biodiesel makes the rubber
fuel lines wear out quicker than they otherwise would.

--

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin

The magic HD-DVD number is:
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0