Was Reagan A Protectionist?!?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Dec 29 17:31:49 MST 2008

[]

[]

[]

George Bush, Protectionist
by
<http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Patrick+J.+Buchanan>Patrick
J. Buchanan
<http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Patrick%20J.+Buchanan>(more
by this author)
Posted 12/26/2008 ET

"I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system,"
President Bush told CNN, defending his offer of $17 billion in loans to the
Big Three "to make sure the economy doesn't collapse."

Thus did Bush concede that protectionism, if a critical U.S. industry is in
peril, must trump free-trade ideology. For in offering the bailout to GM,
Ford and Chrysler, Bush, by omission, excluded BMW, Mercedes, Honda,
Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai -- though all operate auto plants here in the
United States and all are feeling the same sales slump.

Indeed, Toyota claims losses for the first time in 70 years -- though how
Toyota's management was able to keep sales up in 1945, when Gen. Curtis
LeMay's B-29s were conducting their nightly visits, escapes me.

(read the rest by clicking on this
link:)  <http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=30077>