Bush's Bankruptcy............

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Dec 29 18:00:26 MST 2008

[]

[]

[]

Bush as Bankrupt as GM
by <http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Jed+Babbin>Jed Babbin
<http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Jed+Babbin>(more by this
author)
Posted 12/15/2008 ET
Updated 12/16/2008 ET

President Bush is now as bankrupt politically as GM is financially. He
spent the last week lobbying Senate Republicans to bail out GM, Chrysler
and Ford and succeeded only in alienating the people he needed most.

Among the senators and Republican staff I spoke to, none agreed with the
president and most resented the White House's strong-arm tactics.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) summed up their reason in a
single sentence: "We simply cannot ask the American taxpayer to subsidize
failure." The failure of the automakers' management to retain any control
of the situation -- coupled with UAW President Ron Gettlefinger's refusal
to budge on real reform of the union's industry-killing labor agreements --
were only two of the foundations of the White House's political bankrupcy
last week. The biggest one was the Bush administration's approach to its
presumed allies.

(read the rest by clicking on this link:)
<http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=29899>