The Next Conservatism, A Serious Agenda for the Future

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Dec 30 00:14:08 MST 2008

Free Congress Foundation Commentary

The Next Conservatism, A Serious Agenda for the Future
By Paul M. Weyrich
December 18, 2008

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It is the worst of
times because millions of Americans are unemployed this Christmas. It is
the worst of years because we have mortgaged the future of our children and
grandchildren for decades to come.   It is the worst of years because many
good friends have left us. It is the best of times because we still live in
the greatest nation on earth. It is the best of years because we have the
freedom to speak our minds. It is the best of years because we can organize
as we see fit to support the political candidates of our choice.

It is the worst of years because we have to witness the troglodytes from
Hell kill innocent people in Mumbai, formerly Bombay. It is the best of
years because we have a peaceful transition from a Republican to a
Democratic President with exemplary co-operation between President George
W. Bush and President-elect Barack H. Obama.

It is the best of years because the test of the sea-based missile defense
system has worked. It is the worst of years because most of America is not
defended against a missile attack. It is the best of times because the 22nd
city opens a light-rail system this December after light-rail nearly died
out a few years ago. It is the worst of times because the Bush
Administration has turned down 70 some cities which want light rail or
streetcars. It is the best of times because Amtrak has set records in
number of passengers carried. It is the worst of times because the airlines
carry more people on one day than Amtrak does in a year.

It is the best of years because various factions are co-operating toward an
agreement about the withdrawal of United States troops from Iraq. It is the
worst of years because we are struggling in the war in Afghanistan.

It is the best of times because medical science continues to make great
progress. It is the worst of times because we are about to suffer a
government takeover of the most successful medical system in the world.

It is the worst of times because conservatives appear lost and without a
serious agenda or a means of explaining such an agenda to the public. It is
the best of times because Free Congress Foundation has a serious agenda
called the Next Conservatism which should ignite a meaningful debate about
the future.

The late Paul M. Weyrich was Chairman and CEO of the Free Congress Foundation.