What global warning?

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at VERIZON.NET
Wed Dec 16 21:08:30 MST 2009

>Uh, you might want to rethink that.  Our spacecraft endure some
>massive temperature changes, but we don't even get anywhere near
>"within a few kelvins of absolute zero."

They certainly do.  Just what do you think the temperature in space
is?  Heat is energy.  By Einstein's E=MC^2, energy is equivalent to
mass.  Space is totally massless, hence it is without energy, hence
there can be no heat.  The fact that photons carry radiated energy
(or are pure energy, we'd have to get into the quantum world to
really discuss that), this partially accounts for the minuscule rise
above absolute zero - that and the background radiation - now in the
microwave range.  Also, at space station orbit, there are remnants of
atmosphere which can absorb and re-emit energy, but again, at a
minuscule level - likely just above the quantum level.  An
over-simplification, but quite pertinent, is the homogeneity of space
(granted, on a cosmic level, but still applicable) the temperature is
pretty darned constant.  The actual glitches in that homogeneity are
at the galactic level.

Stephen A. Frye
s.frye at verizon.net