No, He Can't............................................................

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Feb 4 21:19:42 MST 2009

A black woman's interesting view:
(following her credentials is her article)

Subject: No, He Can't!

Anne Wortham is Black, an Associate Professor of Sociology at  Illinois
State University and continuing Visiting Scholar at Stanford University's
Hoover Institution.

She is a member of the American Sociological Association and the American
Philosophical Association.  She has been a John M. Olin Foundation Faculty
Fellow, and honored as a Distinguished Alumni of the Year by the National
Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education.  In fall 1988 she
was one of a select group of intellectuals who were featured in Bill
Moyer's television series, "A World of Ideas."  The transcript of her
conversation with Moyers has been published in his book, A World of Ideas.

Dr. Wortham is author of The Other Side of Racism: A Philosophical Study of
Black Race Consciousness which analyzes how race consciousness is
transformed into political strategies and policy issues.  She has published
numerous articles on the implications of individual rights for civil rights
policy, and is currently writing a book on theories of social and cultural
marginality.  Recently, she has published articles on the significance of
multiculturalism and Afrocentricism in education, the politics of
victimization and the social and political impact of political
correctness.  Shortly after an interview in 2004 she was awarded tenure.

This article by her is another point of view......

No, He Can't
by Anne Wortham

Fellow Americans,

Please know: I am black; I grew up in the segregated South.  I did not vote
for Barack Obama; I wrote in Ron Paul's name as my choice for
president.  Most importantly, I am not race conscious.  I do not require a
black president to know that I am a person of worth, and that life is worth
living.  I do not require a black president to love the ideal of America.

I cannot join you in your celebration.  I feel no elation.  There is no
smile on my face.  I am not jumping with joy.  There are no tears of
triumph in my eyes.  For such emotions and behavior to come from me, I
would have to deny all that I know about the requirements of human
flourishing and survival, all that I know about the history of the United
States of America, all that I know about American race relations, and all
that I know about Barack Obama as a politician.  I would have to deny the
nature of the "change" that Obama asserts has come to America.  Most
importantly, I would have to abnegate my certain understanding that you
have chosen to sprint down the road to serfdom that we have been on for
over a century.

I would have to pretend that individual liberty has no value for the
success of a human life.  I would have to evade your rejection of the
slender reed of capitalism on which your success and mine depend.  I would
have to think it somehow rational that 94 percent of the 12 million blacks
in this country voted for a man because he looks like them (that blacks are
permitted to play the race card), and that they were joined by
self-declared "progressive" whites who voted for him because he doesn't
look like them.  I would have to wipe my mind clean of all that I know
about the kind of people who have advised and taught Barack Obama and will
fill posts in his administration, political intellectuals like my former
colleagues at the Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.

I would have to believe that "fairness" is the equivalent of justice.  I
would have to believe that man who asks me to "go forward in a new spirit
of service, in a new service of sacrifice" is speaking in my interest.  I
would have to accept the premise of a man that economic prosperity comes
from the "bottom up," and who arrogantly believes that he can will it into
existence by the use of government force.  I would have to admire a man who
thinks the standard of living of the masses can be improved by destroying
the most productive and the generators of wealth.

Finally, Americans, I would have to erase from my consciousness the scene
of 125,000 screaming, crying, cheering people in Grant
Park,  Chicago  irrationally chanting "Yes We Can!"  Finally, I would have
to wipe all memory of all the times I have heard politicians, pundits,
journalists, editorialists, bloggers and intellectuals declare that
capitalism is dead, and no one, including especially Alan Greenspan,
objected to their assumption that the particular version of the
anti-capitalistic mentality that they want to replace with their own
version of anti-capitalism is anything remotely equivalent to capitalism.

So you have made history, Americans.  You and your children have elected a
black man to the office of the president of the United States, the wounded
giant of the world.  The battle between John Wayne and Jane Fonda is over
and that Fonda won.  Eugene McCarthy and George McGovern must be very happy
men. Jimmie Carter, too.  And the Kennedys have at last gotten their
Kennedy look-a-like.  The self-righteous welfare statists in the suburbs
can feel warm moments of satisfaction for having elected a black
person.  So, toast yourselves: 60s countercultural radicals, 80s yuppies
and 90s bourgeois bohemians. Toast yourselves, Black America . Shout your
glee Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, Stanford, and Berkeley. You have
elected not an individual who is qualified to be president, but a black man
who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to 'Do Something!'
You now have someone who has picked up the baton of Lyndon Johnson's Great
Society.  But you have also foolishly traded your freedom and mine, (what
little there is left,) for the chance to feel good.  There is nothing in me
that can share your happy obliviousness.