Lying Hypocrites..............

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Feb 7 18:28:05 MST 2009

<http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/>
[]

<http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=867>Dems Blast 'Corporate Excess' While
Soaking Taxpayers for Luxury Retreat

[]

[]

[]
 <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=752180547&ref=profile>Add Bobby as
a Friend on Facebook

----------
[]
  <http://twitter.com/TeamGOPUSA>Follow TeamGOPUSA on Twitter

----------
[]
  <http://twitter.com/ActionGOPUSA>Follow ActionGOPUSA on Twitter

----------
[]
  <http://www.gopusa.com/backend/lettertoeditor.php>Comment

----------
[]
  <http://www.gopusa.com/backend/emailafriend.php>E-mail
Posted by <http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?page_id=8>Bobby Eberle
February 6, 2009 at 7:23 am

<http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/wp-print.php?p=867>>> Printer-Friendly Version

Remember the fallout when the corporate executives came to Washington
asking for money? Rather than saving money by flying commercial, they
traveled in their corporate jets and asked Congress for a "helping hand."
The move did not sit well with the public, and congressmen took the
opportunity to blast the executives for "corporate excess."

Hypocrisy runs amok in Washington... we all know that. But the Democrats
have now taken it to a new level. While they send down fire and brimstone
against "evil" corporate executives for living the good life, they will
soak the American taxpayers for a luxury retreat in Virginia that they are
attending this weekend.

As the Associated Press notes in a
<http://www.gopusa.com/news/2009/february/0206_luxury_retreat.shtml>story
on GOPUSA, "Members of Congress were quick to shame corporate executives
for over-the-top extravagance during the economic crisis, flying private
jets and taking luxury junkets. But some lawmakers are strolling fancy
resorts spending tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars."

This weekend, Democrat House members are meeting at the Kingsmill Resort
and Spa in Williamsburg, VA.

[]

Having stayed at the Kingsmill resort last summer (at my own expense), I
can say that the setting and amenities are definitely top notch. However,
it's one thing for an individual or family to pay their own way, and it's
quite another for the taxpayers to pick up the tab!

"Democrats spend taxpayer money on their retreat but do not permit
lobbyists to accompany them. The public pays for a charter train from
Washington to Williamsburg for many of the 200 members who attend, as well
as conference rooms, security and catering."

Note that last month the Republicans attended a similar retreat, but NO
taxpayer money was used.

"Lawmakers pay for their own transportation and room costs, roughly $190
per night, including food, according to one Republican who attended but
spoke on condition of anonymity because details of the trip were not made
public.

Meredith McGehee, policy director at the Campaign Legal Center, notes in a
story running in
<http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/500k-spent-on-dem-caucus-retreats-2009-02-03.html>The
Hill that "when the economy is suffering and people are losing their jobs,
members must be mindful to scale back and not use taxpayer dollars for
luxury items."

"I actually think there is utility in meeting together once a year to
concentrate on getting everyone to row their oars in the same direction,"
she said. "But how much money is spent this year and the scope of it and
how many frills there are is important. It sends a message on how seriously
members are taking the economic problems when people are being laid off
left and right."

So, here we are. President Obama and the Democrats want to "stimulate" the
economy by a massive spending bill closing on in $1 trillion, and, oh by
the way, let's charge the taxpayers for our retreat as well. I'd say that
makes no sense, but I'm talking about the Democrats.