Pro-life pastor prepares for sentencing

Ernie Lane ernielane at VERIZON.NET
Tue Feb 17 10:35:18 MST 2009

John A. Quayle wrote:
> Pro-life pastor prepares for sentencing
> Charlie Butts - OneNewsNow - 2/15/2009 4:10:00 AM Bookmark and Share
> <http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>
>
> Emacs! An Oakland, California, pastor could face jail time for
> expressing his pro-life views.
>

> Pastor Walter Hoye ran into trouble with an abortion clinic while doing
> an informational picket. Dennis Howard, leader of The Movement for a
> Better America <http://www.movementforabetteramerica.org/>, believes
> Hoye is innocent.
>
> "His approach was simply to carry a sign that said 'Jesus Loves You. Can
> We Help?' and offering those who wanted it some information about
> alternatives to abortion," Howard explains.
>
> A complaint was filed and Hoye was found guilty in spite of proof to the
> contrary. "There was a video taken of him doing this, and it shows that
> he was not harassing anybody," Howard points out. "In fact, he was being
> harassed by escorts from the abortion clinic."
>  Emacs!
> Pastor Hoye faces up to two years in jail and a $4,000 fine. Howard is
> calling Christians into action. "We feel that pro-life organizations
> around the country ought to take up this man's cause and pray and fast
> between now and February 19," he concludes.
>
> That is when Hoye is due to be sentenced.

I googled his name to see what came up.  The conviction(s) for
"illegally approaching a person to talk or hand out a leaflet" would
seem to be in violation of the First Amendment and should be tossed out
on appeal.  The conviction(s) for "using 'force, threat of force, or
physical obstruction' against two of the clinic escorts" while perhaps
bogus, I think will stand up.