Axlerod Doesn't Recognize Unconstitutionality.........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Feb 17 16:26:19 MST 2009

Politics

<http://www.newsmax.com/xml/politics.xml>RSS
[]
 <http://www.newsmax.com/politics/archive/>ARCHIVE
Print Page  |  <http://www.newsmax.com/forward_page/>Forward
Page  |  <http://www.newsmax.com/contact/editorial/>E-mail Us

Axelrod Insists White House Controls Census

Monday, February 16, 2009 7:47 PM

By: Rick Pedraza Article Font Size
[]

[]

White House political adviser David Axelrod says the Obama administration’s
plan to put the U.S. Census Bureau under the control of top administration
officials will keep the bureau in expert hands.

Axelrod, appearing on "FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace," said that,
despite the the West Wing's move to manage the bureau, the census would
continue to “be in the charge of the professionals who conduct it."

Republicans, who oppose the move on the grounds that it will politicize the
2010 census, say supervision of it by the Democratic Party will taint the
results and skew new congressional representative district lines for the
2012 elections.

Last week, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., weighed in on the move by
telling Newsmax TV she and her fellow Commerce Committee members are
"terribly disappointed and very concerned" that Obama wants to end the
traditional autonomy of the bureau by placing it directly under the control
of the White House.

“This is a very dangerous move,” Blackburn said.

Blackburn and her GOP colleagues, including Rep. Jason Chafitz, R-Utah, who
calls the move nothing more than a Democratic political grap, fear the
takeover of the census is a not-so-disguised effort by White House Chief of
Staff Rahm Emanuel to pad the number of Democrats in the House.

“I think we all are concerned about that," Blackburn said, "because if
you’re going to statistically alter or adjust the numbers, then you’ll have
districts or states that may end up with more members of congress as
opposed to areas that have seen a lot of growth that would have fewer
members of congress.”

Axelrod, who was Obama's chief campaign strategist in the presidential
election, told “FOX News Sunday” there are “great professionals” in the
bureau. “We intend to bring in additional, impeccable people. The White
House needs to ensure that the census is fair and accurate, and that's what
we're going to do. But the way to do that is put professionals in those
slots to run the census in the most advanced way they can."

Asked whether he or Emanuel, who was chairman of the Democratic
Congressional Campaign Committee, intend to directly supervise the census,
Axelrod said: "I am not an expert on the census, and neither is Rahm. We
want the experts to run this program; we want to make sure that every
American is counted."

Blackburn is calling on Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif.,
to hold committee hearings to look into the decision to hand control of the
census over to the Obama administration instead of the department of commerce.

“I just find that so very unfortunate,” Blackburn said, “and I’m
tremendously disappointed and very, very concerned about this happening. We
are terribly disturbed about the politics coming back into the census
process.”

Blackburn is not alone in her criticism of the egregious move by the
administration. Joining her in a letter sent to Waxman earlier this week
calling for hearings were several other prominent Republicans.

"Any attempt by the Obama administration to circumvent the census process
for their political benefit will be met with fierce opposition,” U.S. Rep.
Darrell Issa, R-Calif., wrote in a letter to Obama. The letter, co-signed
by North Carolina Rep. Patrick McHenry, refers to the move by the
administration as “an ill-conceived proposal [that] undermines a
constitutionally obligated process that speaks to the very heart of our
democracy."

The letter also targeted Emanuel, stating: “Requiring the Census Director
to report directly to White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is a
shamefully transparent attempt by your Administration to politicize the
Census Bureau and manipulate the 2010 Census.”

Blackburn says the bureau has come a long way toward ridding itself of
politics infiltrating the ranks. “They have worked diligently to make
certain that they have good people that are well-trained, and that they
produce an honest count that we can work from."

Blackburn assures that she and other critics of the move "will continue to
push forward and see what else we can do to make certain that the American
people are fully aware that this is taking place. It is not being brought
forward as a vote from congress, it is being done just as an executive
action."

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.