I'll give the Democrats some credit.

Ernie Lane ernielane at VERIZON.NET
Sat Feb 28 06:44:10 MST 2009

John A. Quayle wrote:

>> Richard Whitenight wrote:
>>> They won back the Congress in 2006 and there have been changes...just
>>> not necessarily positive ones. Since they assumed power in 2006 the
>>> NYSE and the DOW have lost almost half their value or rating. Now,
>>> that's change I don't care to believe in!
>
> At 12:23 PM 2/25/2009, Ernie Lane wrote:
>
>> You always hear "put your money where your mouth is."
>>
>> You'd think that after (1) the Fed chairman says the recession may end
>> this year, and (2) the President spoke to the nation, that the stock
>> market would rise, strongly, today. At midday, the Dow is down 135.
>>
>> "Put your money where your mouth is." The nation is doing exactly
>> that. (In other words, polls are just that, and spin one way or the
>> other. The "market" is real, and is everybody.)
>
>          */Just shows you that Americans of all stripes are not buying
> the empty happytalk.  I'll go on record as having a sharp disagreement
> with Bernacke. There's going to be strong inflation before the end of
> the year - perhaps hyperinflation.  I fully expect China to soon tell DC
> to stuff their debt instruments where the sun never shines. In that
> case, the Fed will be busily printing worthless currency. China despises
> America. They aren't shy about it, either. Hillary went there last week
> to beg for more Chinese money. They'll soon be tired of the shenanigans.

One thing that doesn't seem to register is that as the recession if
pretty much global, that means the other countries aren't flush in
"extra money" that they can invest in American bonds.  It's a matter of
priorities, and if the choice is a bridge over the Yangtze or U.S.
treasury bonds, the choice is pretty easy.