Showing Up The Fed.............

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jun 4 21:27:51 MDT 2009

Prosecuting Robert Kahre for Embarrassing the Federal Reserve
by Jacob G. Hornberger

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what Las Vegas businessman Robert
Kahre has done to deserve a federal criminal indictment. From what I can
tell, Kahre is the victim of a brutal, heavy-handed Justice Department that
is acting at the behest of the IRS and possibly even officials of the
Federal Reserve.

Today, Kahre, 48, is in a <http://www.lvrj.com/news/46074037.html>federal
trial facing a 57-count indictment. If he's convicted on all counts, he
could end up spending the rest of his life in jail.

 From what I can tell, the feds are going after Kahre for two main reasons,
both of which appear to me to be ludicrous abuses of prosecutorial power.
First, the feds are upset that Kahre paid his workers with gold and silver
coins. Second, they're upset that he treated his workers as independent
contractors rather than as salaried employees.

Let's look at the coin allegation.

Federal officials issue gold coins and silver coins. The coins are
denominated in dollars. For example, the silver coin is a one-dollar silver
coin. The gold coins are issued in various denominations, the largest being
the 50-dollar American Eagle.

The U.S. government has declared that these coins are legal tender at their
face value. In other words, suppose a person wants to buy a concert ticket
that costs fifty dollars. He can take his American Eagle gold coin and
tender it to the ticket seller. Under the law, the ticket seller must
accept the gold coin in payment of the ticket.

Now, most every intelligent person knows that a buyer would never do that,
at least not today. Why not? Because in the marketplace that one-ounce gold
coin is worth about 1,000 dollars in Federal Reserve paper money, which is
also considered legal tender.

Thus, the ticket buyer would be better off selling his gold coin for 1,000
dollars in paper money, paying 50 dollars in paper money to the ticket
seller, and pocketing the other 950 dollars in paper money.

Nonetheless, the law is the law. If the buyer wishes to use his gold and
silver coins at face value, he is perfectly within his legal rights to do so.

So, here's what Kahre did. He offered his workers a rate of pay based on
the face value of gold and silver coins. For example, suppose Kahre and a
worker had agreed on annual pay of 50,000 dollars in paper money. Kahre
then says to the employee, "Look, instead of paying you 50,000 dollars a
year, I'll pay you 2,500 dollars a year, payable in 50 American Eagle gold
coins"

The worker says, "Fine." Why would the worker do that? Because he's just as
well off as if he had accepted the 50,000 dollars in paper money because he
can sell the coins in the marketplace for 50,000 dollars in paper money.

But there are some major differences for the worker. For one thing, the
worker's annual income is 2,500 dollars rather than 50,000 dollars. That
places him under the threshold that requires him to file an income tax
return. For obvious reasons, that would not sit well with the IRS.

Second, I'm no expert in tax law but it would seem to me that while the
worker would have to pay capital gains tax when he sells the coins, he
could defer that tax by saving the coins over a long period of time rather
than selling them.

So, what have Kahre and the workers done wrong? Or to be more precise, what
have they done that is illegal? If federal officials are stupid enough to
make gold coins and silver coins legal tender, then what's wrong with
Americans' using such coins as legal tender?

Let me tell you what I think their "crime" is: They've embarrassed U.S.
officials by exposing what the Federal Reserve has done to people's money,
which is a likely reason that Federal Reserve officials, along with the
IRS, are pushing this criminal prosecution.

What many Americans don't realize is that the United States was founded on
a monetary system of gold coins and silver coins. Paper money was
prohibited, both at the state and federal level because our American
ancestors understood that government officials throughout history had used
paper money to plunder and loot the citizenry through inflation.

The gold coin/silver coin standard came to a formal end when Franklin
Roosevelt nationalized gold and made it a federal crime for Americans to
own gold. That act opened up the floodgates to the massive inflation of
paper money that Americans have experienced ever since.

The enormous extent of the monetary debasement that had taken place since
the 1930s became clear once gold ownership was re-legalized in the 1970s.
How? Because Americans could easily compare the face value of gold coins
issued by the mint to the price in paper money that the coins bring in the
marketplace.

In other words, a fifty-dollar gold coin does not trade for 50 paper
dollars. It trades for 1000 paper dollars. That's because the government
officials, decade after decade, have inflated the paper money supply to
finance their ever-growing government projects.

So, what Kahre has done is bring people's attention to that phenomenon.
That's his real crime. That's why they're going after him.

Jacob Hornberger is founder and president of The Future of Freedom Foundation.