Open Letter

Ernie Lane ernielane at VERIZON.NET
Sat Jun 20 07:36:25 MDT 2009

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>>     * An Open Letter to Our Nation’s Leadership
>>     <http://glennbeck.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/06/17/an-open-letter-to-our-nations-leadership/>*
>>
>> by Web Producer
>>
>> I am Janet Contreras, a concerned, home-grown American citizen. I am
>> 53, and I have been a registered Democrat all of my adult life. Before
>> the last Presidential election, I registered Republican because I no
>> longer feel the Democratic Party represents my views or works to
>> pursue issues important to me. I now no longer feel the Republican
>> Party represents my views or works to pursue issues important to me.
>> The fact is I no longer feel any political party or representative in
>> Washington represents my views or works to pursue issues important to me.
>>
>> There must be someone, please tell me who you are. Please stand up and
>> tell me you are there and are willing to fight for our Constitution as
>> it was written. Please do it now.
>>
> I have some good news and bad news for Ms. Contreras. The good news is
> that there are lots of "someones' like that, relatively speaking. The
> bad news is that they are a tiny minority of voters. Even if one could
> muster the billions needed to run, they could not get elected after the
> demonization they would receive from the media. If by some divine
> miracle one did get elected getting anything accomplished would be
> hopeless. Both the Dems and Repubs would see to that in congress. It
> took more than 40 years to get to this point through incrementalism. It
> will take more than twice that using the same same technique to revesre
> all that. The first step is to regain control of the institutions,
> primarily schools. The second step is to get some elected to congress.
> Electing one as POTUS is the last step.
>
> Folks, I'm afraid our generation as been both fortunate to live though
> the best of our founders great experiment and unfortunate to witness the
> beginning of its irreversible decline. Alex Tyler was dead right and we
> are in the apathy to dependency phase. The only place he was wrong, and
> this is where our founders showed their genius, is that we are well
> beyond the 200 years Tyler says is the maximum. Perhaps during the next
> revolution there will appear another group of geniuses that will devise
> a new form of government can last longer than this one but it will be
> many generations before that happens. Our grandchildren and
> great-grandchildren are to be pitied while our generation must accept
> the blame.

I think you are in the neighborhood of 100% correct.  Frankly, when the
President says he can cut the deficit in half, even that is several
times larger than we have ever had.  I don't think that even the sickest
member of Europe is carrying the kind of debt level we are going to
have.  Frankly, while it's going to take a couple of years for us to get
there, we are going to look back fondly on Jimmy Carter's "stagflation."

There is no solution, not when the Republican members of Congress
(mainly in the Senate) are as complicit as they are.  The latest example
is the war spending bill.  Now, while I'm in favor of as much war (and
military) spending as the military needs, the Republican Senators should
have filibustered this, unless it was a clean bill -- nothing but war
spending.