Parental rights versus the State

William White wbbanjo at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 22 09:27:23 MDT 2009

Thanks, John.  I kept thinking when I read your post on this thread:  what an illuminated response!   Besides giving good sources and a invitation to an open mind, your sincere sharing of facts in your own life circumstance is compelling to me.

Whatever the advertised benefits, I do not want the state to be making (mandating) health choices for citizens.  However, I notice that in this matter as in many others, the state continues to usurp authority.  The insights of the great anti-Utopian authors, like Orwell and Huxley, grow more prescient with each passing year.

Bill

--- On Thu, 5/21/09, John A. Quayle <blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET> wrote:

From: John A. Quayle <blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET>
Subject: Re: Parental rights versus the State
To: RUSHTALK at CSDCO.COM
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2009, 7:35 PM

         An outstanding, well-reasoned response, Bill. Nice work!

John Q.

At 04:04 PM 5/21/2009, William White wrote:

Some of your propositions would fit well with the UN Charter on the rights of the child. I would oppose that charter and favor the parents as the decision makers for their children in matters of health, education, and welfare.

The authority in this case should not rest on percentage or chances of survival. It should rest on parental rights and a constitutionally guaranteed freedom of religion, even if the exercise of those rights and freedoms fail to produce what the medical establishment would judge to be a "healing." Much of "accepted" medical practice, itself, is really rather hit and miss. If doctors set bones and perform necessary surgical procedures, they tend to do pretty well. But in other areas, they are often "practicing." With doctor error being one of the top three (or thereabouts) causes of death in the USA, the medical practitioners are hardly the bastion of science some may claim them to be. Furthermore, "what is best for the child" is a culturally subjective platitude, which can be and is distorted to support arguments that serve the interests of fashionable group thinkers or power grabbers. I support the parents and their decisions for their child over the
 state, which will use anything, especially so-called science, as a club to mandate and to enforce its will.

The last thing I would wish on anyone is to fall under the spell of the government, which is all too willing to require citizens to give up their free will and their rights as parents to the nanny state. As I recall, the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany invoked the name of science to carry out some of their ghastly programs. In our time we have seen that doing something "for the children" is all too often a sentimental argument masking a sinister intent to garner power over citizens. For better or worse, the parents' authority and their freedom of religion should trump the mandates of the government and the wishes of the highly mythologized medical establishment. I know parents in the USA have sometimes lost this philosophical battle in the activist courts, but this is wrong; it leads to cultural decline; and should be opposed by those who hold freedom to be precious.

Bill