Our Silencing Is Imminent.......

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Sun May 24 20:44:33 MDT 2009

[]

Chuck Norris
  Outlawing Opinion
By Chuck Norris
<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/3074703:4090203088:m:1:88120924:037FD01BF285B8BA92DBA6E3290B204F>
comments

It greatly alarms me that Americans' constitutional right of freedom of
speech is being squeezed out of our culture. Several years ago, I watched
then-"20/20" correspondent Diane Sawyer interview Saddam Hussein, who was
dictator of Iraq at the time. She respectfully confronted him for the
atrocities and executions he used as punishments for people who merely
spoke out against him, his rule or his politics. Surprisingly naive of
America's constitutional basis, Saddam asked, "Well, what happens to those
who speak against your president?" (He clearly was expecting that such
speech was also a crime in the U.S. and punishable by law.) Shocked by his
sheer ignorance of the U.S. -- and somewhat at a loss for words herself --
Diane quipped back in answering his question, "They host television talk
shows!" Saddam's facial expression revealed that he was totally confused by
her answer.

Sounds so far-out, doesn't it? Offensive speech being punishable by law?
But it might not be that far off for America, especially if the course of
free speech continues on its present track -- a path of progressive
restrictions, both from our government and our culture.

For example, presently bill S. 909 is on the fast track through the Senate,
poised under the guise of the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention
Act. While the bill purports to target crimes of brutality, not speech,
once enacted, local justices could expand its interpretive enforcement to
encompass a wider meaning than originally conceived. In the end, it could
not only criminalize opinions (an unconstitutional act) but also provide
elevated protection to pedophiles.

<http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/ct/3074703:4090203088:m:1:88120924:037FD01BF285B8BA92DBA6E3290B204F>Click
here to continue reading Chuck Norris' column