Bi-Partisan Congressional Majority Moves to Restore Second Amendment in National Parks

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at VERIZON.NET
Tue May 26 16:38:35 MDT 2009

[]

[]

[]

   NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 16, No.
20                                         5/22/09
[]

<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.6.4229844>Bi-Partisan
Congressional Majority
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.6.4229844>Moves to Restore
Second Amendment in National Parks
<http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/Read.aspx?email=blueoval57@verizon.net#poll>
[]

<http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/Read.aspx?email=blueoval57@verizon.net#poll>Click
here to vote in this week's poll.

On Wednesday, NRA-backed legislation to restore the Second Amendment rights
of law-abiding citizens in national parks and wildlife refuges passed in
the U.S. House of Representatives by an overwhelming bipartisan majority of
279-147. Today, the measure was signed into law and, as specified in the
legislation, will take effect in nine months, on February 22, 2010.   This
was a major repudiation of the gun control community's anti self-defense
agenda.

The current Department of Interior (DOI) regulations were amended by the
Bush Administration in 2008, allowing law-abiding citizens to defend
themselves by carrying a concealed firearm in national parks and wildlife
refuges.  However, early this year, a federal district court in Washington,
D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a preliminary injunction against
implementation of the new rule.  NRA has been working for the past several
years in the regulatory, legal, and legislative arenas to achieve this
policy change.

phoenix
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.8.4229844>Round-Up Of
Grassroots Activities In Phoenix:  As noted in last week's report on the
record-setting attendance at the
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.9.4229844>May 15 Grassroots
Workshop held in conjunction with NRA's Annual Meetings in Phoenix, Ariz.,
we wanted to update you on the second event hosted by the NRA-ILA
Grassroots Division- the third annual "In Their Own Words" special session.

<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.10.4229844>Celebrating
Memorial Day:
arlington cemetary
This weekend, our country will celebrate Memorial Day.  We'll cookout,
relax, and visit with friends and family.  But this holiday weekend is
about more than barbeques, swimming pools, and family get-togethers.  As we
celebrate the Memorial Day Weekend, let us keep in mind what we are
"celebrating" -- those who made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that
Americans, and people around the world, would be able to reap the benefits
of freedom.  We should remember, too, the one freedom that we as Americans
enjoy -- the one that protects all our other freedoms -- the Second
Amendment.  Those who fought and died on the battlefield did so to protect
our country, our way of life, and our freedom.  It is now our calling, and
our responsibility, to ensure that future generations never fail to realize
how blessed we are to live in the United States, a country whose
Constitution guarantees its citizens' freedom, including our Right to Keep
and Bear Arms.

2009-2010 Hunting Regulations for the Upper Mississippi River National
Wildlife and Fish Refuge:  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) is
planning to change existing regulations for migratory game birds, upland
game, and big game.  These changes will implement portions of the Refuge's
management plan, approved in 2006.  The Refuge encompasses 240,000 acres in
a mostly continuous 261-mile stretch of Mississippi River floodplain in
Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  Approximately 187,000 acres of
the area are open to hunting. The regulations will be changed to affect
zones closed to waterfowl, or all hunting, and require the immediate
retrieval of waterfowl taken during hunting.

You may view the proposed rule at
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.11.4229844>http://www.fws.gov/midwest/uppermississippiriver.
Clicking on "current topics" will take you to a press release, fact sheets,
and the proposed rule.  Public comments must be received by May 28, and can
be sent electronically to
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.12.4229844>http://www.regulations.gov.
Follow the instructions for submitting comments.  Or, you may mail comments
to:  Public Comments Processing, Attn: RIN 1018-AW48; Division of Policy
and Directives Management; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax
Drive, Suite 222; Arlington, VA 22203.  For further information, you may
call 507-452-4232.  If you hunt in this expansive refuge, you are
encouraged to review the proposed changes and send your comments to the FWS.

<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.13.4229844>Help Defend Your
Gun Rights One Click At A Time:
toolbar
We now have a revolutionary yet simple tool that will allow you to stay
connected to NRA-ILA and raise valuable contributions to defend our Second
Amendment rights without spending a dime!  It's the NRA-ILA Toolbar, and
you can make a difference by downloading and using it.

Show your support, stay connected to your NRA-ILA, and raise valuable
contributions for our defense of the Second Amendment by downloading and
using this free toolbar!  Please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.14.4229844>here to download
your toolbar now!

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rlTrkpi0U>
Grassroots Minute

<http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/State/>STATE ROUNDUP  (Please note the
only items listed below are those that have had recent action.  For other
updates on state legislation, please go to the state legislation section at
<http://www.nraila.org/>www.NRAILA.org, and check each week's issue of the
Grassroots Alert.")

ALABAMA:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.17.4229844>Emergency
Powers Bill Signed by the Governor, Permit Confidentiality Legislation
Awaits Approval  Governor Bob Riley (R) recently signed Emergency Powers
legislation, but the permit confidentiality bill still awaits his
consideration.  For more information on these two bills, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.17.4229844>here.  Please
continue to contact Governor Riley and respectfully urge him to sign HB 432
into law and thank him for signing HB 225.  You can reach Governor Riley by
calling (334) 242- 7100 or via email by clicking
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.18.4229844>here.

COLORADO:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.19.4229844>Governor
Vetoes Pro-Gun Reform  On Friday, May 15, Governor Bill Ritter (D) vetoed
House Bill 1180.  HB1180 would have exempted Colorado concealed handgun
permit holders from the background check requirement for the transfer of a
firearm.  Please contact Governor Ritter at (303) 866-2471 and express your
disappointment in his veto of House Bill 1180.  Thank you to all those who
contacted their legislators during this process.

LOUISIANA:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.20.4229844>Two
Second Amendment Weekend Tax Holiday Bills Progressing in Baton
Rouge!  Senate Bill 52, a bill that would recognize the importance of the
Second Amendment by authorizing a 'sales tax holiday' on purchased firearms
during the annual Second Amendment weekend, was passed unanimously by the
State Senate on Thursday, May 21.  Its companion bill, House Bill 128, has
been scheduled for debate in the House on Wednesday, May 27.  Please
contact your State Representative and State Senator and respectfully urge
them to support HB 128 and SB 52. To find the contact information for your
lawmakers, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.21.4229844>here.

Hunting Opportunities in Management Plan for Bayou Sauvage National
Wildlife Refuge:  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has released a
management plan for the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge.  The 24,000
acre refuge is contained within the corporate limits of New Orleans, and is
the largest refuge in an urban area in the United States.  It is one of the
last remaining marsh areas adjacent to the south shores of Lakes
Pontchartrain and Borgne.  Three management alternatives have been
presented to the public for review and comment.  The preferred management
approach preferred by FWS, Alternative B, would open the refuge to some
hunting opportunities.  Comments must be submitted by May 26th to Mr. Pon
Dixson, Deputy Project Leader, Southeast Louisiana National Wildlife Refuge
Complex, 61389 Highway 434, Lacombe, LA 70445 or to
<mailto:pon_dixson at fws.gov>pon_dixson at fws.gov.  A copy of the plan is
available at
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.4.4229844>http://southeast.fws.gov/planning/
It is important for the FWS to receive public support for opening the
refuge to hunting, so please take a few minutes to send comments to Mr. Dixson.

NEBRASKA:
nebraska
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.22.4229844>Governor Heineman
Signs Right-to-Carry Reform Bill!  On Tuesday, May 19, Governor Dave
Heineman (R) signed LB 430.  This comprehensive reform package will make
numerous changes to Nebraska's firearm regulations.  On Wednesday, another
pro-gun reform, LB 503, was transmitted to the Governor's desk for his
consideration.  LB 503 will help protect Nebraska's shooting ranges from
local zoning regulations.  Please contact Governor Heineman and thank him
for signing LB 430 into law, and also encourage him to sign LB 503 to help
protect Nebraska's shooting ranges.  You can contact Governor Heineman by
calling (402) 471-2244 or via email by clicking
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.23.4229844>here.

NEVADA:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.24.4229844>Apprentice
Hunting Bill Advancing in Nevada!  Last Friday, the Nevada House passed
Assembly Bill 246.  The bill now heads to the Senate where it will be
considered by the Senate Natural Resources Committee.  AB246 would
establish an apprentice hunting license that would allow prospective
hunters 12 years old and older to try their hand at hunting before
completing a hunter education course.  Apprentice hunters would be required
to be directly supervised in the field by a mentor who is at least 18 years
old and who holds a valid Nevada hunting license.  Please contact the
members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee TODAY and respectfully
urge them to support AB246.  Contact information can be found
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.24.4229844>here.

NEW YORK:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.25.4229844>Anti-Gun
Bills Advance in New York!  In their annual attack on the gun rights of New
Yorkers, anti-gun Assemblymen came out in full force and passed numerous
anti-gun bills. All of these bills will now head to the State Senate. It is
critical that you contact your State Senators and urge them to oppose these
restrictive and unnecessary measures.  For more information on these bills
and how to take action, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.25.4229844>here.

NORTH
CAROLINA:
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.26.4229844>Legislative Update
for North Carolina  The North Carolina General Assembly hit its Crossover
Deadline on Thursday, May 14, after a flurry of legislative activity.  This
deadline basically means that any bill that had not passed one chamber
(either the House or Senate) by Thursday is likely dead for this
session.  Many pro-gun reforms failed to meet the deadline, but several did
pass.  To view the bills that will continue to move in the North Carolina
legislature, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.26.4229844>here.

OKLAHOMA:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.27.4229844>Employee
Privacy Reform Bill Sent to Governor Henry!  On Monday, May 18, House Bill
1025 was sent to Governor Brad Henry (D) for his consideration.  HB 1025
would prohibit private employers, public employers, and public officials
from inquiring about a job applicant's firearm ownership.  Please contact
Governor Henry and respectfully urge him to sign HB 1025.  To contact the
Governor's office please call (405) 521-2342.

PENNSYLVANIA:
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.28.4229844>"Lost or Stolen"
Ordinance Revived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania!
pa
Earlier this week, Mayor Richard Gray (D) reintroduced a proposal that
would require gun owners to report a lost or stolen firearm within a
72-hour period, or face fines and possible imprisonment.  If enacted,
Gray's proposal would violate Pennsylvania's state preemption law and turn
innocent law-abiding victims into criminals.  The proposal will be
considered by the Lancaster City Council on Tuesday, May 26.  A vote by the
city council is expected on Tuesday, June 9.  Please attend the May 26 City
Council meeting to show your support for the Second Amendment and, if
possible, voice your opposition to this illegal and unwarranted
proposal.  For more information on the City Council meeting and additional
contact information, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.28.4229844>here.

TENNESSEE:  <http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.29.4229844>Castle
Doctrine Reform Bill Signed into Law!  On Wednesday, May 13 Governor Phil
Bredesen (D) signed House Bill 70 into law.  HB 70 will remove the
prohibition against using deadly force in protection of personal
property.  It will also expand your right to self-defense to include a
place of business. Thank you to all those who contacted their legislators
during this process.  Please continue checking your email and
<http://www.nraila.org/>www.NRAILA.org for updates on further legislation
in Tennessee.

<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.30.4229844>Restaurant Carry
Bill Passes Senate, Heads to Governor's Desk!  The Tennessee Senate
approved the General Assembly Conference Committee report of House Bill
962.  The report removed all arbitrary restricting amendments. HB 962 now
heads to Governor Phil Bredesen's (D) desk for his consideration. We would
like to thank all of the NRA members who took the time to contact their
state legislators in support of this important pro-gun measure. We would
also like to thank the sponsors and co-sponsors of HB 962 for their
continued support of this important Right-to-Carry reform bill.  Please
contact Governor Bredesen TODAY and respectfully urge him to sign HB
962.  The Governor can be reached by phone at (615)741-2001 or email
<mailto:Phil.Bredesen at tn.gov>Phil.Bredesen at tn.gov.

<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.31.4229844>Show Your Pride
With an NRA License Plate!  A special NRA license plate provides an ideal
opportunity to showcase your pride as an NRA member and your steadfast
dedication to preserving Second Amendment rights.  Your support of this
program will help ensure hunting and shooting traditions in the Volunteer
State for generations to come.  The NRA is collecting applications for NRA
license plates in Tennessee, but the deadline to apply is fast
approaching.  For more information, please click
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.32.4229844>here.

WEST
VIRGINIA:
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.33.4229844>Right-to-Carry
Reciprocity Reform Bill Becomes Law in West Virginia  On May 8, Governor
Joe Manchin, III (D) signed House Bill 3314 into law.  This important bill
makes significant changes to the concealed carry statutes in West
Virginia.  Please contact the Governor's office and thank him for signing
this important pro-gun legislation.  Also, please contact your legislators
and thank them for all their hard work this session.  You can find your
legislator's contact information
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.34.4229844>here.  To contact
Governor Manchin, please call toll-free at 1-(800) 438-2731 or email him at
<mailto:Governor at WVGov.org>Governor at WVGov.org

WISCONSIN:
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.35.4229844>Micro-Stamping and
Castle Doctrine Bills to be Heard on Thursday, May 28  On Thursday, May 28,
at 10:00 A.M., the Committee on Criminal Justice will be holding a hearing
on Assembly Bill 221, which would require all newly manufactured handguns
sold in Wisconsin
ammo
to incorporate "micro-stamping" technology.  This dangerous legislation
needs to be stopped.  Micro-stamping is flawed, unreliable, and unproven
technology that will burden not only law abiding citizens, but law
enforcement agencies as well.  Your attendance at this hearing is
crucial.  Please contact the members of the Personal Privacy Committee and
respectfully urge them to support the Castle Doctrine legislation (AB 193)
when it is presented to them on Thursday, May 28.  The Committee on
Personal Privacy will hear Assembly Bill 193, the Castle Doctrine
self-defense legislation on May 28 at 10:00 A.M.  Currently there are
inconsistencies with Wisconsin's state statute in regard to an individual's
self-defense rights.   Please also contact the committee members on the
Criminal Justice committee and respectfully urge them to oppose this
micro-stamping legislation (AB 221).  Contact information for both
committees can be found
<http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.5041.35.4229844>here.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend, and please remember
those who have sacrificed to protect our freedom!

In observation of Memorial Day, NRA will be closed on Monday, May 25.

[]