Major question

Dennis Putnam dap1 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Fri Oct 15 16:21:15 MDT 2010

 On 10/15/2010 10:34 AM, Tom Matiska wrote:
> I think you have the chronology of liquor taxes and prohibition
> incorrect.  President Washington had to struggle with the issue
> of liquor taxes on two fronts.   He operated a large distillery and he
> had to deal with the armed Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.

The internal combustion engine was not yet invented. There was no liquor
tax during prohibition, obviously. Prior to prohibition and after Henry
Ford's invention, there was no money in moonshine. It was done then
partly because "papa" did it that way and partly a matter of convenience
for family use since distribution of commercial liquor was limited.

> The connection between booze and racing is also historic.  The nearby
> "Camptown Races" ( Stephan Foster 1850)   started with a few stiff
> drinks after Sunday services  and ended up with drunk farmers betting
> on everything from plow horses to whatever.   Now when I go to the
> county fairgrounds their descendants are doing tractor pulls.  Booze,
> rednecks, and racing are a combination that always was and always will
> be.

My point was that prior to prohibition, racing was pretty much limited
to the animal kingdom.